Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

A SIGNIFICANT NEW release from Hornby is the Class 390 'Pendolino' model which the company sees as the 'HST of the future'. Originally slated for Christmas launch, the models are now hitting the trade in time for Easter exhibition frenzy. These images illustrate the new model which is being made available as a four-car DCC-fitted train in the £100 Trainpack (R2467x) and the £160 Trainset (R1076). It has directional LED lighting and tilts when travelling around curved track formations by virtue of profiled bogie pivots.

Click here for a review.

Hello people,

I have just received this message. Looks smart.

QUOTE The Hornby Pendolino is out!
For more information go to:
www.railexpress.co.uk

Enjoy our recently improved RAIL EXPRESS Modeller section, now in blog fomat
for easy reading.

Yours,
Marble

·
Registered
763 Posts
Arguably the most important release of the year.

Leaving aside any detailed discussion , this one makes modelling the most important group of mainlines in the country in the 21st century possible

A ground-breaking release

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Now that is news. There are some good images in that link.

This is the first Hornby tilting train since the APT and it comes DCC fitted.

This is destined to be one of the years top releases and possibly a 2007 best seller.

And it is the most important release for Hornby in 2007 and possibly the most significant release ever!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
982 Posts
Are there instructions for those of us that run DC. It is not clear is the DCC part related to lighting units. Will a DC version be made available and if not can the chip be removed?

Russell

·
Registered
697 Posts
Such excitement !

As Ravenser says, leaving aside detail discussion, this should open up some modelling opportunities.
Just a couple more OHLE EMU's and you could do the WCML.

Detail wise, the body will need some beefing up around the bogies as it's all a bit exposed and toy-like as it is.

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 20 Mar 2007, 19:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are there instructions for those of us that run DC. It is not clear is the DCC part related to lighting units. Will a DC version be made available and if not can the chip be removed?

Russell
You may be able to remove the decoder, but you may also have to install a lighting circuit to make the lights work properly on DC. Maybe not??

I don't think there are any plans for a non-DCC version.
I would imagine this model, in trainset form, is intended to be a key product in driving DCC sales forward into the mass market. A DC version would be a bit self defeating perhaps???

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 20 Mar 2007, 19:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers Jennings! If they only made it DCC they would be restricting the market somewhat.

Russell
Initially yes, but I think the idea is to sell most of those trainsets to newcomers or as childrens toys. Then you have your customers all DCC'ed up so when they choose to buy extra Hornby toys, they'll want more DCC stuff to run on their trainset.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Am I missing something? I have the Bachmann Voyager, why do people feel this is such a significant release?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Go to the West Coast Mainline its about all you see these days.

Reckon you could do a layout with

Pendolino
Voyager
3 Class 66s (EWS, DRS,Freightliner)

Such is the monotony of our railway these days.

Russell

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Not like the good old days when steam ruled the roost! I guess with my interests being mainly steam and not living on the mainland UK I have missed the significance of the Pendolino.

I was under the impression that the Pendolino was going to be of a similar standard to the HST model, but the pictures make it look like its much better quality. How on earth are hornby managing to release so many quality products at the minute? With the reengineering of the Lima models to boot they are doing a great job.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hornby don't own the tooling for the Dapol Pendolino - that's with Dapol

The Dapol Pendolino has solid roofs. The Hornby one, correctly, has farirings along the sides with a central recess

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
If the decoder that is in it ,is any good, it should run on DC( analogue) layouts as well; normally the only things that DCC locos do not do on DC track is stationary lights & some sounds.
There are many DCC locos being released throughout the world that have sound & some sounds work OK on DC but a bit limited.

Ron

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Apparently the Hornby Pendolino has a couple of Hornby decoders with proprietary 7-pin sockets...

No 8-pin NEM socket so if you want to use other decoders you have to solder it in.

Isn't that a bit funny...

·
Registered
267 Posts
In a way its odd, but the model in question is the DCC Fitted version NOT the dcc ready version. I somehow doubt that those who want to put there own decoder in would buy the DCC fitted version unless they are just eager to get there hands on one.

For those of us who just want the model to come with DCC fitted won't care hows it done, nor whats inside as long as it runs under DCC with no problems.

Its a case of wait and see what the DCC ready version is like when that arrives, and then draw any conclusions from that one.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hornby have stated from day one that the Pendolino would require 2 decoders to operate the lights using DCC control as there has to be one in each end car.

As Jennings has said those who want to fit their own decoders will wait for the DCC ready version however two decoders will have to be fitted to operate the lights even in these circumstances.

The DCC fitted premium is reasonable taking this into account.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 20 of 110 Posts