Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - was wondering if anyone can remember the Hornby 3-part plastic track base they produced probably around 1980? It was like the forerunner of the TrackMat of today, but moulded in plastic with small hills, and roads etc printed on. I can't find my old catalogue with it in, so was hoping to find something on internet. Anyone recall what it was called, or maybe have a link to something on the web?

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (carltonf @ 11 Jul 2008, 20:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi - was wondering if anyone can remember the Hornby 3-part plastic track base they produced probably around 1980? It was like the forerunner of the TrackMat of today, but moulded in plastic with small hills, and roads etc printed on. I can't find my old catalogue with it in, so was hoping to find something on internet. Anyone recall what it was called, or maybe have a link to something on the web?

Hi - Yes its number was R997, a three part pre-formed layout and it looked quite good. I sold a near mint one on ebay last year. I didn't realise Hornby had made anything like it until one turned up.

Regards
David Y

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Dinwiddy @ 12 Jul 2008, 09:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi - Yes its number was R997, a three part pre-formed layout and it looked quite good. I sold a near mint one on ebay last year. I didn't realise Hornby had made anything like it until one turned up.

Regards
David Y
Hi Dinwiddy - that's the one - thanks for the input; found something on internet already, and will keep my eyes open on Ebay too!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
According to Pat Hammond's "The story of Rovex Volume 3 1972-1996" this item was introduced in the 1978 catalogue. It was made of vacuum-formed plastic sheet in three 3ft by 2ft sections to make a 3 by 6ft layout. There is a small picture on page 407 of Pat's book of the page of the catalogue describing the item.

Around 8,500 of these were made in 1978/79. They were an early precursor of the track-mats.

Regards,
John Webb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts