Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've a problem which hopefully someone can solve. I've just got an unpowered chassis to fit a duchess body onto. Its Hornby china made with pickups on both sides(red and black). The problem is that I want to marry it up with a motorized tender which I know works on a chassis with pickups on only one side. Is the solution as simple as disconnecting one of the pickups or is it more complicated than that. Any help gratefully received.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I've moved this topic from "The Station Concourse" as it seemed a more appropriate for the OO Scale modellers among us.

The tender drive on the older Hornby models appears to only have one electric pole taken from the loco and if this is the case then only one side of the loco chassis would have to pick up current. You will have to isolate the pick up on the one side of the newer loco chassis although you would have to work out which side to isolate.

Why not put the loco and coupled tender on the track and slightly raise one side of the loco so that it is not drawing current. See if the motor in the tender operates. If it doesn't then tip the loco to the other side. Then if the tender operates you know which side to isolate.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm not familiar with either of the specific units here, but a generalised tip that could come in handy for anyone wanting to check out a loco and its pick ups:

I have a transformer controller to hand with a couple of flexible cables/wires attached to it and the other ends bared. I take the unit to be checked and chock it upside down on a handy soft cushion and just probe around the wheels and chassis in a methodical manner to find out the current flow routing. If no transformer available, a battery can be used instead, using mini alligator clips to attach the wires to the battery or even makeshift things like paper clips or washing line pegs. Same method can be used for checking lighted coaches of course. Crude but effective! Its the sort of thing I sometimes used to do rather comfortably lying in bed instead of falling asleep watching some boring TV programme!

EDIT
Soldering to batteries can be dangerous
DON'T try unless you really know what you are doing!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Warning!!! Solder wires to any battery terminals can be dangerous, as the heat generated to fuse wires/battery terminals can cause the battery to blow up.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Good point!
Some batteries lend themselves to it with nice brass tags etc but others don't.
I'll take out that reference and your warning will still have a useful function for the over adventurous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to both Gary and Rail-Rider for their advice and I'm sorry for the delay in replying. I shall endeavour to find out which side to isolate and hopefully I will shortly have a runner. I will update you when its done. Thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Used Garys tip on and have now desoldered the other pickup. This gives me an excellent runner. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts