Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,267 Posts
I would be very dubious of the current chassis being a straight 'plug in' to a Princess from 'many years ago'. All the pacifics which have been long term fixtures in Hornby's catalogue have undergone steady evolution of both the body moulding and chassis features. That said, it will be possible to install the current chassis if you are prepared to cut clearances, and probably put in new securing points. Take a look at the service diagram, and compare to your present unmotorised chassis to judge whether the securing points have changed. http://static.hornby.com/files/ss-251c-226.pdf

Richard's suggestion would produce a very nice result; does your 46202 carry both smoke deflectors and the extended casing on the RHS, so that only the rear RHS splasher is visible? Stylistically, I do wish the loco had been built with the full length casing both sides. Why only on the LHS in the original I don't know; some people are as a result convinced that the forward turbine extends from the cab to the front bogie, whereas it is all contained in the 'bulge' over the bogie. If I ever get around to the 'Turbo', I will style it right, and be hanged to authenticity!

·
In depth idiot
8,267 Posts
I like 46258. With 70 sq ft grate, mechanical stoker, 300psi and circa 56,000lb TE, but an adhesion factor of less than 3, she would have been like a Bulleid pacific for slipping when starting. But once at speed, the continuous 4,000 IHP that such a grate should have been able to sustain for dealing with Shap and Beattock, would have made running a five hour Euston-Glasgow service practical. What would her BR power class have been: 11P/7F?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.