Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nice work! It's useful to see this as I'm looking at re-fitting a couple of Margate Princesses with newer chassis (Comet or Chinese Hornby). How did you deal with the splashers on the right hand side of the loco?

One other (slightly tangential) question: I've noticed that the Margate body has a shorter firebox than the Chinese version; the dimension between smokebox door and backhead is the same across both. Is this a prototypical variance or just an error?

Cheers // Tom

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the info about combustion chambers; very helpful. Wikipedia tells us that the 13 Princess Royals were built in two batches of two and 11. Based on your candour about your own model of 6202, presumbly the first two (6200 and 6201) were built without, and the rest with? Therefore the 2001 moulding would be right for 85% of the class.

Re splashers: What am I missing? Am I thinking of the same loco?

Cheers // Tom

·
Registered
228 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 9 May 2010, 22:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...appropriate books...Could you give a steer on what those are?

QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 9 May 2010, 22:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>All the Hornby Princess Elizabeths are incorrect as they have the later valve gear and slide bar arrangements. I am looking at modifying Hornby King slide bars etc. and fitting to create a more accurate model of Princess Elizabeth.I was really thinking above the footplate. In terms of basic dimensions, and allowing for adjustments to depict detail differences, is it a reliable formula to employ the 1984 bodyshell for 6200 and 6201, and the 2001 update as a base for 6203-6212?

Also, still not clear on whether you adjusted the splasher positions on the right side of your Turbomotive. If you did, any tips?

Cheers // Tom

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the info.

QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 10 May 2010, 07:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[...]
The splashers on Turbomotive are hidden,
[...]Really sorry to labour this point, but now I'm worried about my basic locomotive terminology!

Aren't those things in the red ellipse splashers? Perhaps this wasn't how 6202 appeared in service.

Cheers // Tom

·
Registered
228 Posts
QUOTE (Saint Johnstoun @ 19 May 2010, 17:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The difference in wheelbase between the tender drive and loco drive versions of the Hornby Princess is between the leading and centre driving wheels. My model is of the locomotive in later condition when an additional oil pump was added and the casing on the right hand side was extended further back hiding the front splasher hence the lack of a problem in using the early body. If you wished to use the original body to model the loco as built you would need to move the front right hand side splasher forward.I hear a penny dropping
Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers // Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.