Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologise in advance if this has been broached before but I recently picked up a couple of lit Hornby Pullman Coaches going cheap on flea bay and they have the type of coupling bars with screw fixed R8099 coulping, I would rather run them with the close coupling type so I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get 4 of the bars fitted to the later lit pullmans that allow the close coupling type to be fitted to the pocket.
I've contacted Hornby and my local spares shop but they can't help.
If anyone can advise me that would be great and I appreciate your help.

Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hate to say it, but because they are so flimsy I have junked those. When mine arrived, also from fleabay, 7 out of 8 couplings were broken. I have actually gone back to the middle-width Dapol type couplings, and I find that they work fine. I guess it all depends just how close you want the coaches to get.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I recently puchased some Pullmans and a couple had the old-style fixed tension locks intead of the NEM pocket type, which allows the fitting of Kadee or similar close couplings. If you contact Hornby customer care about this they will send you replacement bogies of the NEM type free of charge. Bit fiddly to replace (due to the wiring for the lights) but not difficult and a big improvement.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RFS, I'll give it another go, last time I contacted Hornby about this I didn't get an answer at all but new bogies witht he NEM couplings would certainly solve the problem.

Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
564 Posts
QUOTE (RFS @ 2 Jan 2009, 16:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I recently puchased some Pullmans and a couple had the old-style fixed tension locks intead of the NEM pocket type, which allows the fitting of Kadee or similar close couplings. If you contact Hornby customer care about this they will send you replacement bogies of the NEM type free of charge. Bit fiddly to replace (due to the wiring for the lights) but not difficult and a big improvement.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi Mike

I had exactly the same problem. You need completely new bogies (as the cut out needs to be semi-circular rather than vee shaped) - not just the arm.

I phoned up Hornby customer services - spoke to Colin - told him my problem and they sent me six pairs of new style bogies and arms absolutely free.

They are easy to fit as long as you take care - you will need to cut the wires coming out of the coach body and re-solder them to the wires on the new bogies but it's a doddle.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts