Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently purchased the digital british pullman set and extra coack pack. prob is all the coaches have white roof and metal sides and hornby make no brake cars like this. does anyone now if it is possible to change the roof colour to white from grey so the set matches. thanks for any help

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi
For changing the roof colour, all you have to do is paint it neatly. It's probably best to take it off for painting.
Or you could remove the roof and replace it with a grey roof.
Regards,
Ben

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ben100 @ 30 May 2008, 08:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Or you could remove the roof and replace it with a grey roof.

Er I don't think so - the roof on the brake is, or at least should be, different to those on the parlour cars. A repaint is by far the best option.

Regards

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the roof seperate to the sides then?ne suggestion on paint to use to change them form grey to white finish?

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
All the Hornby Pullman models I have seen, both the older unlit types, and the newer lit versions, have the roof and body moulded as one piece, so a careful repaint is in order. A matt white paint will do the job, either acrylic from a maker like Tamiya (advantage here is that being water based removal of any paint accidently put on the bodysides should be straightforward) or enamel such as from Humbrol (spirit based so will need more care, but does tend to brush on a little more easily).

Personally, if this is a steam worked train (and the Pullmans Hornby make are essentially steam era stock) I would be painting the white roofs mucky grey brown: they did not stay white in service very long!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
personally, I never paint 'pure' white...or 'pure' black.

For 'white' I do use white paint, but with a tiny hint of black stirred in, to make the 'white' an ever- so- slightly pale grey.

For 'blacks'...I do the opposite, and add a dash or two of white paint, stirred in....to produce what really is a 'very dark grey.'

This is all something to do with 'levels of light reflection', or somesuch arty thing I don't admit to understanding....

Once the roofs are painted [I quite like TAmiya paint...I find it gave a better 'matt' ].....a gentle bit of dry brushing with a dark grey or black will hilite the roof details..[if you don't want to go down that 'in service' road suggetsed by 34C.....which in honesty, I would follow...but that's me!]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts