Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have added the following about the Q1 to the link at the bottom of the review but, as this is a general observation, I think here will be ok too.

The review written by Doug, I think, is spot on. In fact I would say that the model runs so well that it truly approaches Roco standard. There is no higher praise -Well done Hornby. So get your Q1 sorted before you have to buy the new Hornby Rebuilt/Brit models for this year (see other threads).

One point and you can see it in the pics in the review. As suggested by others, the sliding doors on the tender explode from their frame when you take the model out of the box. This has caused much moaning and some negative comparision with Roco. I think this is overstated and a dab of glue solves this issue. When you first hear the ping you just think - O god what have I broken? It is not a problem.

Anyway, my point is this. Is it the case that Hornby have got some poor girl in the China factory fitting these sliding doors to every Q1 on the production line? I was messsing with mine for ten minutes before I said 'bugger where is the glue?'. This is surely not mass production but an artisan at work in China.

Could this person be imported to help with the rest of my super detailing Simon?

regards

TVBG

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think that comparison to Roco does not justice to Hornby. As Austrian I grew up with Roco locos. lots of them. The new Hornby locos are more silent, have better pick up and have more details factory applied than Roco. Hornby offers factory weathered locos without surcharge - compared with my weathered Hornby locos the more expensive Roco ones look plasticky. My experience during the last year showed that Hornby has better quality control,too.

Above said is not to make Roco look bad! It is just my being amazed how fast Hornby improved its range. In 1999 I started buying Hornby models because I liked the prototypes, not the models. Compared to my Roco and Fleischmann rolling stock it was a step back in detail and running. All of my friends laughed when they saw my new models and I became a very lonesome modeller as I could not stand their jokes any longer. But the empire struck back. I just have to show them he new models to hit hard. But telling them how cheap these magnificent models are hits them even harder! And HO is really too small compared to OO, isn it!

Thomas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts