Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 17 of these R217 Mineral Wagons. Hornby's representation of the MCO in a former life.

I have always meant to put loads in them (coal preferably), but have never got round to it. Can anyone tell me if any of the Wagon Loads in the current Hornby range fit these wagons?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
It says they fit the plank wagons and the R217 Mineral Wagon has same internal dimensions as the plank wagons although I have not personally tried it. Go for the 6 plank wagon coal load.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The advantage of the Hornby loads is that you don't have to get your hands dirty, they are instant, and they are reusable and last forever. They also don't mess up the wagon (if you are inclined to create in situ wagon loads) so the wagons remain in collectable condition and the wagon loads (strange but true) do have a resale value and if history is anything to go by this value goes up! It is all down to how you value your time at the end of the day.

Skaledale buildings have doubled in value in 2 years (beating the prototypical property market!) although Hornby may give the wagon loads a longer production run and there may be more of them in circulation. But you never know...

Self manufacturered wagon loads can look great (I have seen some that look not so great!) and everybody has their own perspective on the subject and their own reasons for doing it one way or the other. No one way is right or wrong and whichever route is chosen is right for that individual.

Getting back to the original question Hornby would be absolutely barmy to produce wagon loads that don't fit wagons both old and new and as Hornby are not that barmy then they are bound to fit. If they don't then you should email Hornby (SK?) and complain.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was gonna make my own Loads for these wagons like I have with many others, but like Gary says, it is question of time etc. I have heard good reports for the current Hornby Wagon range of Wagon Loads.

As you said Gary, these wagons are not new, in fact I couldn't even tell you when they were taken out the Hornby range. I only have catalogues going back to 1999, and they aren't in it so I couldn't even guess.

They are all labelled R217 B.R. Mineral Wagon. Undeneath the Wagons themselves, it is stencilled on with R009*020.

2 differ in that they are labelled R243 BR Mineral Wagon (an earlier incarnation?), and they appear to be in an earlier box style, which is given away by the older Hornby Railways logo on the box of the type where you cant see the contents without opening it. Comments welcome.

My kids have some Hornby Plank Wagons, so buying a small number of the Wagon Loads to try, even if they don't fit, wouldn't be a complete loss.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just had a quick look in that fountain of wisdom that is Ramsays and they show various R numbers from 1960 up until 1978!! apparently they were offered either with or without a moulded coal insert. Going on the pictures bachmann did a similar looking wagon.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I did compare a current Wagon with the R217 Mineral Wagons that I have and they are the same size internally. They should fit as this is the case. As I suggested the 6 plank load would be the one to go for.

The Duha wagon loads really are something special and they look fantastic however not sure on the fit and do they do coal?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
They do a range designed for Hornby wagons and, yes, they do coal!

The steel loads are good too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts