Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

My son just bought a DCC fitted R2626 M7 and it looks like the Hornby fitting of the chip is as per described in an article on here by Doug Teggin (http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=H-R2506) - one of the metal ballast plates has been removed from a side tank to put the chip there. Sounds good but there is a BIG problem with this train - it can only pull a single carriage effectively. There is just no traction for pulling any sensible load, and I an certain this is due to the reduction in weight over the driven wheels by removing half the ballast. If I place additional weight on top over these wheels it grips OK and can pull fine. Trouble is there doesnt seem an easy way to solve this in any sensible fashion.

Does anyone else have experience of this or any ideas?

I dont know what to do because the train is almost totally useless as it stands and I dont know how Hornby can call it saleable. I think I shall write them a snotty email but I dont know what good it can do.

Thanks for any thoughts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi
I haven't a M7, so I can't see just how little space there is inside the body. However ZTC have produced a new decoder, their 4007 Diamond Plug & Play direct fit version, which is the same size as the Hornby printed circuit board that the 8 pin decoder socket is fitted onto. The decoder has the 8 pins directly mounted onto the circuit board. If there is room for this tiny decoder?, then the ballast weight can be reinstalled and some traction regained.
ZTC 4007 Decoder

This shows how small it is and gives the operating instructions etc ZTC 4007 manual

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 15 Apr 2008, 16:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
I haven't a M7, so I can't see just how little space there is inside the body. However ZTC have produced a new decoder, their 4007 Diamond Plug & Play direct fit version, which is the same size as the Hornby printed circuit board that the 8 pin decoder socket is fitted onto. The decoder has the 8 pins directly mounted onto the circuit board. If there is room for this tiny decoder?, then the ballast weight can be reinstalled and some traction regained.
ZTC 4007 Decoder

This shows how small it is and gives the operating instructions etc ZTC 4007 manual

*** Other decoders that will fit without removing weights.... TCS M1-UK, TCS MC-2 UK and - I haven't tried it but I think it will easily - the DP2-UK which at 11.7mm x17.5 mm x 3.5mm is I similar in size to the ZTC 4007. (and it is a great price too)

Of course as you bought the factory fitted one you'll be short of one weight - better to replace BOTH of them with real lead - much more weight for the volume of metal.

be careful to keep the balance correct - centre of gravity of the loco should be just inside the centre of the driver set nearest the trailing wheels.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Richard, I tried (and failed) to get an MC 2 in my M7 and still had to remove the weith from the side pannier tank. Where would you recommend putting the MC2 whilst leavign the weight in place please? Without the weight in the engine is seriously lacking "pulling power". I noted that the tank weight had a recess but it was not enough to take the depth of the MC2 without fouling the chassis.

Watty

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Watty @ 18 Apr 2008, 21:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard, I tried (and failed) to get an MC 2 in my M7 and still had to remove the weith from the side pannier tank. Where would you recommend putting the MC2 whilst leavign the weight in place please? Without the weight in the engine is seriously lacking "pulling power". I noted that the tank weight had a recess but it was not enough to take the depth of the MC2 without fouling the chassis.

Watty

Hi Watty

I tend to forget that I find it easy to grab a file, but if you want to leave the 8 pin plug in place then just a very little filing makes room for the decoder- its very close as is and only needs a short harness so the wires don't get in the way. You might find the M1 easier - without the connector on the PCB its considerably smaller height wise and slightly shorter too.

Re the weights you really are better off removing them and making up another pair the same shape with real lead - its a lot heavier than the stuff hornby insert and makes a very big difference to an otherwise light footed loco.

Richard

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (apreading @ 14 Apr 2008, 23:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi there

My son just bought a DCC fitted R2626 M7 and it looks like the Hornby fitting of the chip is as per described in an article on here by Doug Teggin (http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=H-R2506) - one of the metal ballast plates has been removed from a side tank to put the chip there. Sounds good but there is a BIG problem with this train - it can only pull a single carriage effectively. There is just no traction for pulling any sensible load, and I an certain this is due to the reduction in weight over the driven wheels by removing half the ballast. If I place additional weight on top over these wheels it grips OK and can pull fine. Trouble is there doesnt seem an easy way to solve this in any sensible fashion.

Does anyone else have experience of this or any ideas?

I dont know what to do because the train is almost totally useless as it stands and I dont know how Hornby can call it saleable. I think I shall write them a snotty email but I dont know what good it can do.

Thanks for any thoughts
I had the same problem as you I even took mine back and got a replacement but that was the same I resolved it by going to the fish tackle shop and buying a sea fishing lead weight I then cut a peice off with a hacksaw and shaped it to fit ,a dabof super glue and it works perfect !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts