Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Can anyone help me to sort a problem with the R8247 accessory decoder?

I'm using the Elite unit and was about to comvert to DCC point control too. However, when I connect the decoder to the points they simply refuse to operate. They try but seem to have not enough power to throw properly. All work fine with DC control and the R044 switch?

I've the R8247's connected to my DCC busmain.

Thanks,

Nitemare

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi zmil,

Yes it seems that this little Hornby unit is not too popular!!!

I've managed to get some turnouts to work by tweaking the little spring in my Peco turnouts, its far from satisfactory and I'll probably consider some other decoders in future, any suggestions??

Nitemare

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for all your invaluable advice.

Richard I'm already using the W version of the solenoids and have found that by tweaking the little spiring in the turnout I've been able to get some (not all) to work as I'd first hoped.

I've already spoken to John (Bromsgrove) and will probably move away from the Hornby decoder in favour of the SMD82, but would like to add that I do like Hornby products in general and to date my Elite has been more than satisfactory with my TCS loco decoders.

The problem with Hornby is that thay tend to promise a lot and seem to come up short with a lot of their products. For many a novice to the pastime its their first stop and only later we find out about the more obscure brands which may be better, but tend to be more technically daunting!

I think the whole issue of DCC control of points and accessories needs to be much simpler and less daunting for us newbies no matter how user friendly Hornby claim to be!!

Thanks,

Nitemare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.