Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
I use the SMD82, which is connected to the DCC bus and it works perfectly.

I think the Hornby decoder must have a design flaw somewhere, as how can the SMD82 work perfectly being powered from the DCC bus but the Hornby one just doesn't want to know?

Both have a built in CDU so should only need to take a small amount of current from the DCC bus to charge the capacitor.

Very odd.

I've used the Lenz LS150 with it's own power supply and that wasn't as good as the SMD82 that runs off the DCC bus!!
The LS150 has NOT got a built in CDU so you need a 16v ac 3amp power supply to power it, this is the maximum supply that can be used!
It still struggles to move the point though, you really need to connect the MASTERswitch V2 to the outputs which will allow you to have a bigger current go to the point motor.

Unless you are going for full automated PC control, IMHO it's better to stick with toggle switches and a CDU and operate the points the usual way.
It's much easier and cheaper to do it this way than using the accessory decoders.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
QUOTE Thanks for all the invaluable info.

Would the Hornby Power Booster be the answer then?

Nitemare

I can't see as it would make any difference.
Remember you would need to split the layout into two isolated sections and have the Elite controlling one section and the Booster controlling the other.
The booster will also need it's own power supply as well.

For £69(RRP) plus the price of the transformer you may just as well buy a different accessory decoder!

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.