Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Thanks for the pics Doug - it looks very nice & I'm glad to say that the loco/tender gap is close, also, daylight where there should be & not where it should'nt.

Be interesting to see how it performs !

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't model the Southern in the right era or location for those beauties, but...

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 5 Mar 2008, 16:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone else feel feel a bit of Southern Era coming on

I have a sneaking (sinking?) feeling that a weathered BR late crest could well find a home in the cabinet - oh woe oh woe is me.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I was waiting to see what they looked like in model form before I decided on whether to have one of these, I know I must have a water cart tender I just needed to decide on a T9 or the inevitable "Arthur" with one. Looking at these pics, it's gonna be a T9. /maybe a 6=wheeled tender version too.
Well done Hornby for getting this far before we "knew" you were doing them.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
The photos do look good. If the chassis works (ie hauls up to six coaches on the level?) do you think Hornby would look at 4-4-0s from north of the Thames, like some ex LNER D classes for example?

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 5 Mar 2008, 20:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks very nice. I wonder how easy it will be to install a decoder?

With a tender that size there will be no excuse at all not to put the decoder socket in there & provide a speaker mounting - I think the loco will need all the possible weight over the driving wheels.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I believe the intention is to fit the DCC gubbins in the tender.

Looks like a really nice model. Shame it wasn't a real Drummond beast (ie not abominated by Urie) from north of the border, and at a reasonable price too (Did I just say that about a Hornby model!?!)

Russell

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Even Worse John, its yet another *&^&% Southern Loco!

When are Hornby going to realise that there's nothing of merit worth modelling in any railway where the Up Line points North

Time for hornby to Look North without looking east for a change and produce an 0-6-0 Kirtley with cast boiler and outside frames of todays finely detailed plastic, a decent loco drive LMS/Midland Compound & LMS 2p plus a lowly 0-6-0 2F. 3F & 4F & for good measure from the other side.... 10000/10001, the LMS Twins by Bachmann.

Richard

PS - only joking - sort of.... I really am not enamoured of Hornbys choices right now but the T9 is a really interesting loco with a lot of character and I think it will do very very well if its up to standard....which looks assured from the images!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Not wanting to be the harbinger of doom but the Hornby (ok released by Rivarossi) DRG class 58 looked absolutely sensational but was an absolute dog.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=4702
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=4729

Quality control is everything.

Why cant they consider some On3 Welsh outline locomotives and stock. Even though I am pretty focused on the DRG, I would be tempted to build an exhibition layout based on a welsh prototype.

John

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 6 Mar 2008, 17:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Even Worse John, its yet another *&^&% Southern Loco!

When are Hornby going to realise that there's nothing of merit worth modelling in any railway where the Up Line points North

Time for hornby to Look North without looking east for a change and produce an 0-6-0 Kirtley with cast boiler and outside frames of todays finely detailed plastic, a decent loco drive LMS/Midland Compound & LMS 2p plus a lowly 0-6-0 2F. 3F & 4F & for good measure from the other side.... 10000/10001, the LMS Twins by Bachmann.

Richard

PS - only joking - sort of.... I really am not enamoured of Hornbys choices right now but the T9 is a really interesting loco with a lot of character and I think it will do very very well if its up to standard....which looks assured from the images!

We SR modellers are taking over ... first the hobby, then ... THE WORLD!!!

Wot's worth modelling norf of the Thames?? It's wilderness out there, once you get norf of the Watford Gap!

Seriously, that T9 does look nice.

It must be the Great Western's turn from Hornby next year, though.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 6 Mar 2008, 16:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It must be the Great Western's turn from Hornby next year, though.

Apologies for hijacking the T9 thread (To keep on thread....interesting and very different looking tender on the T9 isn't it! - what were the variants on that?)

gwr.... Come off it Jeff.... No no no no no no no x 109 in ever increasing volume...

There are more little GWR tank loco's and variants on a 4-6-0 with fancy capuchon than you can shake a stick at - But there's nothing of value from Hornby with a decent body or drive in a smaller or more common everyday loco for those North of Watford at all! LNER fans would agree with me there I think - they miss out on the workaday smaller steam stuff too!

The Hornby 4F & basic 2P body aren't so bad and could be OK with a birthday in detail accuracy but thats about it - but they are lumped with manky tender drives (inaccurate tender too) as is their Once OK but "now-well-off-the-mark" Compound... The Jinty is awful / life expired and well upstaged by Bachmann.... and they have nothing of an 0-4-4 T or 4-4-0 or 0-6-0 tender loco at all - THOSE loco's were the heart of the everyday goods and passenger trains for many years. All the lovely Crimson lake 4-6-0's and pacifics etc were just the glam stuff & icing on the cake!

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Surely it's time Hornby revised the 28XX with a motorised chassis? - this would also give them a chassis for the assorted 2-8-0T and 2-8-2T variants as well as the 38XX series.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts