Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

EWS 0-6-0 Diesel Electric Class 08 Shunter

Length: 124mm; Running No. 08630; Livery: EWS; Period Current; Finish: Pristine; Detail: Sprung buffers, cab interior, DCC ready, NEM couplings; Built: British Railways; Class Introduced: 1953; Number Built: 1193; Purpose: Shunting.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they are great. This livery is a little too modern for my current layout so I'll give it a miss, but I have one that trundles around doing chores that the other locos find to bothersome to do.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When was the last time you was anything in EWS livery that clean though? I might have to get one just to shunt all my EWS rolling stock around as I haven't got an EWS loco for it to go on the back of yet!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 6 Sep 2006, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When was the last time you was anything in EWS livery that clean though?

Just! - The Hornby 60 that's just come through on a rake of HTA's

PS. by the way SB I see Top Gear featured your 'car in a ditch' the other night. Your claim to fame maybe?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I might have to get one just to shunt all my EWS rolling stock around as I haven't got an EWS loco for it to go on the back of yet!!!

You could also use it for shunting coaching sets used on mainline specials such as "The Torbay Express".

David

·
Registered
342 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 6 Sep 2006, 19:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When was the last time you was anything in EWS livery that clean though? I might have to get one just to shunt all my EWS rolling stock around as I haven't got an EWS loco for it to go on the back of yet!!!

I'd agree with that a gronk should never be clean and spotless they are workhorses always grubby and unloved but kept on going and going and going no layout can be complete without one unless it is set pre war

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>no layout can be complete without one unless it is set pre war
which is why I am keeping my fingers crossed that Hornby will eventually get round to doing an early '50s livery.

David

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere that one was on the cards ? Or maybe i'm just imagining it certainly a black liveried 08 is a major omission to the range

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is there any problem with the Bachmann 08? I remember that they offered the loco in early BR black and I have seen a few in use by the P4 crowd.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Is there any problem with the Bachmann 08?
My impression is that the new Hornby version is the better model, so I want one of those. Am I correct?

David

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've got the Class 09 in grey EWS colours with "Dick Hardy" on it, and it's just a beautiful locomotive, it's a nice runner, and you can drive very slow with it, and it doesn't made lot's of noise. The details are very good, you can even put more details on it!

In the future I will perhaps one of the Class 08's.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
And it was named in honour of one of the great shedmasters and champions of preserved steam in the UK.

Dick is still very much with us and enjoying a very productive retirement!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I've got the Class 09 in grey EWS colours with "Dick Hardy" on i
Have you seen Doug's review?

David

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, why do you ask?

I'll was just talking about the details from my class 09, because it's almost the same loco.

So the Class 09 from Hornby is a great model, so the new 08 would be a great one to, with the same details.

I'll hope I didn't miss something

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>because it's almost the same loco.
I thought it _was_ the same loco - no problem.

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts