Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a topic on the go about which ex Lima models should Hornby release first.

There should also be one for the ex Rivarossi range. This encompasses both European and American models.

For America I suggest the Big Boy, Cab Forward and Challenger locos. Live steam should also be possible in any of these.

There are a number of alternatives for Germany, France and Italy. The potential of quick sales will probably drive what comes first, so German and French models seem most likely.

Jouef models will kickstart France.

CIWL coaches would, I suggest, find eager early buyers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hornby have already said they will be reintroducing the European and American ranges, but will not be reintroducing the Lima British models in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
It had occurred to me that Hornby may have been inspired to introduce the Class 60 as a result of the Lima aquisition (or earlier difficulties). I wonder if any of the parts of the Lima model have been carried over to the new Hornby version? Probably not but you never know.

Many modellers are not aware exactly how large the Rivarossi range is/was and from a British perspective they offered a very small range of HO models in the 1980's and that was it. How about reintroducing the British HO range for overseas markets?

Clearly for the UK the re-introduction of the Rivarossi British outline HO range would be a complete waste of time!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Rivarossi Continental and American offerings were very respectable, covering German/French/Italian prototypes in Europe. Quality was excellent.

The British outline models were two versions of an LMS Royal Scot class loco, one being Royal Scot itself, the other being Hector. There were three LMS coaches. All models are well detailed and high quality.

However, the problem seemed to be they were neither OO at 4mm, nor HO at 3.5mm. According to pundits they were about 3.8mm. I have all the models and the slight scale difference makes not a jot of difference to me, but it did to the rivet counters.

For those that model in OO, whilst a number gripe about accuracy here and there, they totally overlook OO 4mm models run on HO 3.5mm track.

I personally would like to see a move to correct scale and gauge in the UK, i.e. HO at 3.5mm.

Now watch the flak fly!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts