Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm a new member and not very good with technical issues! I have just bought a new rolling road as I wanted to test some of my older DMU's and my Inter-City 125 drive cars. However, the rolling road does not work for these 'loco's. Is this because they pick up drive power from both sets of bogeys? I know there is not a problem with power as I can touch a loco on the rail and it moves!! I have read that the rolling road may be adapted to deal with my older locos mentioned above. If so, what can I do and then would the rolling road still be able to be used for my steam locos and new trains?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You can get extra rollers for it - R8212 which might allow for all wheels of the motorised DMU/HST vehicle to sit on rollers. You then need to arrange the rollers so that two wheelsets are powered by one rail and the other two the other rail. Its probable that the DMUs/HSTs pick up off one rail on one bogie and the other rail on the other bogie. If the driving bogie has traction tyres on the wheels on one side that bogie will be picking up off the other wheels while the other bogie will be picking up on the side teh motorised bogie has the traction tyres; if so you need to ensure the rollers are correctly orientated.

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,299 Posts
As far as I know, the Hornby Rolling Road has a length of track, as well as the rollers.

If the powered bogie is set on the rollers, and the unpowered bogie is on the track section, then it should work ok.

There are however, two types of Hornby Rolling Road.

The original release was designed for the Live Steam models. The tender was to be placed on the live track section, and the driving wheels of the loco were to be placed on the unpowered rollers.

Normal, electric motor powered models will most likely not work on a live steam type rolling road.

The later issues, under a different R. Number I believe, have powered rollers as well as the powered track section.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
The part number for the rolling road with 'live' rollers is R8211; as mentioned by Butler-Henderson the spare sets of rollers are R8212. Most older models only have one bogie powered, so placing the unpowered end on the track and the powered one on the rollers should work, as Ruffnut Thorston explains above

·
C55
2,506 Posts
I have one of these Rolling Roads, and the power provision is from the rails and all the rollers, so Tender / rear [unpowered] bogie pick-ups is fine. The only problem comes with diesels with drive to both bogies. The only way they can be used is to add a length of rail [ST 200, 6.61" or similar] at the end of the Bed opposite to the existing built in rails. On the additional rail, it should be at a suitable height to add some rollers from DCC concepts, or similar adjustable ones. It would also need an extension of the power leads from the input socket, too.

Julian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The part number for the rolling road with 'live' rollers is R8211; as mentioned by Butler-Henderson the spare sets of rollers are R8212. Most older models only have one bogie powered, so placing the unpowered end on the track and the powered one on the rollers should work, as Ruffnut Thorston explains above
Thanks so much for this advice I shall try with my models and see. The rolling road I have bought (albeit 'new' on eBay) is the R8211 version. I much appreciate your comments. Regards TrevorGP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts