Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I am new to this forum and new to modern DCC, having been an old Zero-1 user years ago.

I have a Hornby select unit and have been experimenting with it. To be fair for what it is its good value, but after reading a few entries here I have doubts that it is suitable for anything more than a standalone Hornby system.

So far it has worked well with the hornby decoders, but I acquired some NCE N14SR recently and I can't get these working at all. More of a worry is the fact they make a nasty noise when placed on the track with the Select unit connected.

I have tried two of these decoders now in different locos (N gauge grafar models, some DCC ready others modified!) and get the same results. Yes, before you ask they are definitely wired correctly.

Can anyone else confirm these findings?

Interestingly I also can't get these NCE decoders working on standard DC, even though they should according to the decoder instructions. It could be a faulty batch of decoders, but I suspect otherwise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The decoder manual states "can be programmed by all methods", so I am not sure what is going on with these decoders. I am going to get these tested on a friends Lenz system before I make any judgements on the Hornby system and compatibility issues.

The fact they do not respond on a DC layout makes me think it may not be the Hornby system causing the problem - again the manual states "factory settings is for DC opertaion enabled".

As soon as I get any results, I shall post them here as I am sure you are all interested in this ongoing potential Hornby compatibility problem topic!

I doubt I will have any news until after Xmas, so have a good one!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update for you - I have managed to get one of the NCE decoders to work, more by luck than judgement. The way I got it working was to connect the decoder to the track without connecting the orange / grey to the motor. This then accepted the programming from the Select unit. I knew something had changed because after disconnecting the motor contacts the decoder stopped making the horrible noise.

Also the Select unit was acting as if it had a short applied to it and kept 'rebooting' prior to the motor wires being disconnected.

I played around with a few locos including my DCC ready Grafar 66 and the same pattern occured until I disconnected the motor wires. Very odd - it works fine now.

The other 3 NCE decoders still cause the Select to reboot, but I shall try the same approach to see if they settle down. Very strange - can't really understand what is going on with this.

So it appears once the programming problem is overcome, these NCE decoders do work with the Select - it just seems to be a bit hit and miss when programming. I might invest in a SPROG II !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WARNING.

Today one of my NCE decoders self destructed when I was attempting to program it. It also left the select unit in a strange state where it went through the motions of selecting decoders but the display would intermittantly flash the selected number rather than it remaining steady.

I had to carry out a factory reset on the Select to get it to control anything - but it is fine now, which is more than can be said for the NCE decoder which has burnt out!

Therefore, out of the 4 NCE decoders I have, one works (after experimenting with it as described in the previous post), two still exhibit the symptoms of not working / programming and making an odd noise, and the other is destroyed.

I would therefore not recommend using NCE decoders with the Select as something is not very well with this set-up.

I am relatively happy with the hornby decoders for most applications, but need something even smaller for some locos, and would like to try a sound decoder out, but I am concerned that I could be wasting money on alternative decoders if they also go up in smoke.

Can anyone confirm any other very small decoders that do work with the select for N gauge applications?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 21 Dec 2006, 10:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With the NSC decoders can you read what their values are with your Select? Have you tried the Hornby Stationary Decoders yet?

You can't read anything with the select - all it lets you do is send messages to the decoders.

I haven't tried any stationary decoders yet, but again there is no way to read the values with a select.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.