Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
There has been significant discussion about the Hornby system and it's compatibility with other systems on other threads. If you look under Hornby Select Hornby Decoders and so on you will probably find the answers there. The common denominator for most incompatibility issues seems to be the Hornby system.

Check your decoders with an established DCC system and see if they work with Lenz or Digitrax or whatever. If they don't then there the decoder will be the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 28 Dec 2006, 10:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Come on be fair this is a very low specified Digital set up. I'm reluctant to even use DCC in the same context. If you want features then be prepared to spend a few pennies on something decent. The select seems to be specified for the kids market not for serious DCC use .

It's a bit like having a Sinclair C7 and saying you have a car.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 29 Dec 2006, 05:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think that we should carefully consider what we say about Hornby Select not because of the company or some false flag waving but because there are people starting to purchase these items regardless of what we ourselves may think and I for one would not want to make these people seem unwanted on our forum. rather let's see how we can help them mitigate some of the systems limitations. Then in due time they may choose to upgrade or not depending on their own experience and needs rather than ours which is the way it should be.

Plus I vaguely remember people writing some amazing programs on these "toys".
I guess it's hard to accomodate the opposing viewpoints of experienced dcc users and Hornby select users as they come from opposite ends of the DCC spectrum. I think there is merit in Gary's suggestion that a dcc beginners section is opened so that select and other beginner system users can discuss issues relating to those type of systems.
I'm not saying it is right, as to be fair it probably isn't, but select type systems will be regarded with a degree of disdane by users of fully spec'ed systems. To avoid beginners being subjected to this a dedicated beginners section would sheild them from the views of experienced DCC users towards their choice of system. There would be nothing to prevent experienced DCC users dipping to the beginners section to assist in DCC problems that beginners may have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.