Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
764 Posts
This is the first report of which I'm aware concerning NCE decoders and the Select.

There have been quite a lot of reports that Lenz decoders (and therefore Bachmann decoders , which are made by Lenz) can be programmed with the Select.

There's been one report that TCS decoders (model unknown)wouldn't program with the Select , and one report that someone had managed to program a TCS decoder (make unknown)

In theory, even if you don't program the decoder , it should still run , as address 03.

I've not personally seen the Select, but reports suggest it can only change the address and not other CVs . Therefore it should not be possible for the Select to change the CV that controls whether DC is enabled. Hence the decoder should work on DC....

It has been stated in print that there are several "modes" for sending instructions to a decoder. The Hornby Select apparently only supports one(the most recent and mandatory one) It has been suggested that some decoders don't support all modes, and if the mode missing from the decoder is the mode used by the Select , clearly it won't program

All I can suggest is that you:

- Find someone who has a different brand of DCC system and see if the decoders will respond /program on that system. If they won't they're duds.

- Failing this , send the decoders back to the supplier with an explanation of what has happened .

· Registered
764 Posts
It's not entirely on topic , but it is about compatibility of the Select with decoders so more appropriate in here than in the decoder thread ...

I've just read a report elsewhere in which someone seems to have got a DCC Sound fitted Bachmann 66 to program on the Select , after some initial difficulty switching on the sound.

This seems to be an ESU decoder

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.