Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a brand new Hornby Select very cheaply from someone I know who alrady has DCC and doesn't need the Select which was supplied with a DCC set he was given

I have seen elsewhere that it is not that good a controller and wondered if anyone on here has any experience of it

I realise it is basic -- but is it too basic and what problems are there - if any -- with it

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
There was a time on MRF when the word "Select" was a preclude to a flaming bunfight.

Personally I would not touch it, although there are a number of people who use the device without problems.

Have a look back in the DCC section & make your own mind up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The original version of the Select had some problems, I know, as I had one - notice the HAD. It went back with the whole set.

I recently bought a very cheap Pendolino DCC fitted, which came with a Select. I use a Prodigy Advance and put a Lenz decoder in (now runs sweet).

I read only this week on another Forum that an upgraded Select replaced the old one. When switching it on, the old one would show 10, then 30, and then 3.

The new model shows 11, 30 and 3.

I checked my Select that came with the Pendolino, and sure enough it showed the 11. The set was dated July '07.

I only used it to run in the train on a separate circuit, and to program the Hornby decoder in the dummy car to the same engine number as the Lenz to enable the lights to work. The Prodigy wouldn't touch it.

Alanb

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
The Select has a very, very bad DCC waveform and will not programme or run several popular makes of decoder. It is NOT really DCC at all - "hornby digital" is a more correct description, and whilst Hornby sell it as a trainset controller it is no more than that at best... Personally I would not buy it.

Conversely the later released Hornby Elite has a full NMRA compliance and a very clean DCC signal.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (Western Sultan @ 22 Feb 2008, 07:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have used the Select for over a year now without any major problems butthen I only ever seem to get an hour or two each month to run the layourt these days. Its a matter of horses for courses.

Same here, I got it as a present from the wife and have used it on and off and have had no problems using it.

I use the Bachmann chips in the locos I have and there is no problem with reading on programming them with the select.

Cheers

George

·
Registered
182 Posts
QUOTE (alanb @ 21 Feb 2008, 19:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The original version of the Select had some problems, I know, as I had one - notice the HAD. It went back with the whole set.

I recently bought a very cheap Pendolino DCC fitted, which came with a Select. I use a Prodigy Advance and put a Lenz decoder in (now runs sweet).

I read only this week on another Forum that an upgraded Select replaced the old one. When switching it on, the old one would show 10, then 30, and then 3.

I checked my Select that came with the Pendolino, and sure enough it showed the 11. The set was dated July '07.

I only used it to run in the train on a separate circuit, and to program the Hornby decoder in the dummy car to the same engine number as the Lenz to enable the lights to work. The Prodigy wouldn't touch it.

Alanb

Can I just ask on which forum you read about the upgraded Select, I would be interested in reading up on that. Any chance of a link?

Many Thanks
Ashley

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (alanb @ 21 Feb 2008, 19:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The original version of the Select had some problems, I know, as I had one - notice the HAD. It went back with the whole set.

Alanb

Which forum are you referring to

So are you saying that the original Select is not worth considering and only the upgraded one is worth thinking about.

I assume the original one cannot be upgraded then through firmware or software etc

Have now also been offered a Bachmann EZ Command Control very cheaply as well -- which on the face of it sounds better.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

As an ex-select user I would suggest the Bachmann controller. I dont know anything about the upgrade but I will look into getting it done as its handy to have a spare just in case.

Hope it works for you.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
As most of my locos have TCS decoders fitted I asked Kenn about this and the Select.

I did get a reply, this was in July of last year, but should still be the same, copy of email below.

-----Original Message-----
To: ian
Sent: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 4.40pm
Subject: RE: Select controller

Hello Ian,

Yes we can modify the SELECT to allow operation of TCS decoders... it is interesting that this decoder seems to be the only decoder that causes an issue... we don't have problems with other manufacturers decoders. Reports of incompatibilities with other manufacturers have been due to fact that users expected the SELECT to be able to read decoders and only offers limited editing of CV values... i.e. Address, Acceleration, Deceleration, default direction, and speed stepping. The SELECT is an entry level controller which offers more than a Bachmann EZ-Command and less than a Lenz Compact... At it's price It offers excellent value for money and is a doddle to use.

If your friend purchases a SELECT it will need to be sent back to us for modification. If you call the Hornby mainline 01843 233500 and ask for Internet sales we can take you order and modify the SELECT before shipment.

Hope this helps..

Kenn

HH DCC Support

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have just spent 30 mins trawling the Forums I read, and I cannot find it. It must be one of those answers that are hidden within another subject.

But basically, all he said was what I had stated. I had one of the first DCC Goods sets in November '66. The Select unit was a 10 - 30 - 3.

The new one that I have now (d/d July '07) is a 11 - 30 - 3 model, and is supposed to be an updated one ironing out some of the problems of the early ones.

Try Hornby, they should have the full answer.

On the subject of TCS decoders, a gentleman on www.railwaymodellers.co.uk forum in the DCC section complained on Feb 19 that he has 14 TCS decoders that do not work with his Select.

On the 20th someone told him to contact Hornby and send it back for modification.

It is a pity that Hornby do not put a notice on the main forums so that people are aware - or would this cost too much !!

AlanB

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
**Hornby are gilding the lilly a bit with that comment - its NOT just TCS that won't work well with Hornby - also NCE and Digitrax. Its also a bit cheeky: TCS works perfectly with every brand other than the toylike Select and Hornby continue to blame everyone except themselves - pretty sad really.

The problem is the product which simply doesn't do what it should. It has huge high voltage ringing on the waveform which should be a square wave, not a sawtooth which compromises communication and their software upgrades won't change this I am afraid... this is confirmed by detailed analysis with test equipment and has been confirmed and reconfirmed many times.

Basically it simply does not meet required specifications for DCC. Problems of various types such as loco's resetting to 3 / losing address after momentary shorts and decoders dying or doing strange things when used with select have been around since day 1 and continue to be reported.

Each must make their own decision but it is really not a good way to start in DCC - both the Bachmann dynamis and the NCE PowerCab offer a much better quality product and a host of added features for less than a GBP100 and both will give you excellent performance.

Richard
DCCconcepts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.