Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a hornby select. which cames with the mixed goods set, i re-programed each loco. i run them every few days as i don't have the space yet for the layout yet. i use about 6 pieces of track for test only, it's been a few weeks since i ran one of them which was address #2, when went to run it it was reset to address #3 factory setting, tried about 4 times to re-program the address to #2, it wouldn't interain it. so whether or not it's the loco decoder or the select.

john

have a good day where ever you are

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john g @ 2 Apr 2007, 02:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have a hornby select. which cames with the mixed goods set, i re-programed each loco. i run them every few days as i don't have the space yet for the layout yet. i use about 6 pieces of track for test only, it's been a few weeks since i ran one of them which was address #2, when went to run it it was reset to address #3 factory setting, tried about 4 times to re-program the address to #2, it wouldn't interain it. so whether or not it's the loco decoder or the select.
john
have a good day where ever you are

We have come across this before when locos have been powered down, with other makes of decoder. In fact one of my own locos which has an ESU sound decoder will "loose" its address if left for a few weeks. All the other settings are retained.

I'd take a guess that it's the decoder, rather than the Select. If you know anyone close to you with DCC it may be an idea to take the loco to them & check it out. Failing that return the loco & Select to the place of purchase.

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
It is the decoder. We have identified this problem before. Taking it back may or may not resolve the issue. Some decoders don't reset, some do. We haven't determined if the later decoders are better than the earlier ones... Luck of the draw perhaps.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update.

hi lads, just to-day i tried something out after being busy for a while, i done a reset of the select to factory settings. and re-programed 2 loco's again including the bachmann class 20 w/sound, all went well. no problems, i'm not saying that it will work for everyone. but a glimmer of hope for someone else

john

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I agree that it probably is not enviromental factors however nothing should ever be ruled out.

What is very clear with DCC and digital control is that everybody has unique circumstances which could create a set of events that are uncommon. For probably 99% of Hornby digital users digital is a steep learning curve and this should not be overlooked. Digital absolutely makes for more realistic operational activities on a layout without the need for complex wiring. The downside appears to be that things happen. Warley MRC would testify to that and they don't use Hornby digital!

I am always mystified and baffled when I read a report of something that has not happened to me.

The fact is several heads are normally better than one at solving a mystery. The Hornby experience base at the moment is by the very nature of it being a new product limited and as always an open mind is required as sometimes simple things can be overlooked.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
28 Posts
After firsthand experience with this company's so called DCC decoders and controllers months and months ago, I have been watching with some amusement all the posts regarding the various different problems with this system. Some of the response's have been very entertaining (Future EEC regulations and the like) but the hollow defence to this one here has really tickled me, ........... "environmental issues"................. ! I'm speechless!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts