Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any member has a surplus of plastic connecting rods (motor/track point) or any addresses to obtain same. Help most appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you mean the metal extension rod for when the motor is mounted under the baseboard or the one for the point motor housing that goes next to the point?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Sir Galahad @ 17 Mar 2008, 16:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you mean the metal extension rod for when the motor is mounted under the baseboard or the one for the point motor housing that goes next to the point?

Sorry! the flat plastic strip that connects the motor housing to the point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (Sir Galahad @ 19 Mar 2008, 20:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok. Sorry i'm afraid I can't help you there.

Hello - read your problem and can tell you how I got round it if you like ? I didnt want to spend £££££'s on the little sheds and connecting rods so I bought a pack of the peco under board mounting plates as they fit Hornby motors as well - and a pack of evergreen strip plastic. With a bit of fettling you can make loads of connecting strips - once you have made one with the hole for the pm inthe right place and the hole to attach to the point you can use it as a template for others and its way cheaper plus you dont get all the small brown sheds all over your layout. Ive used Metcalfe buildings etc to cover the motors up or hollow coal mounds using pots etc painted black and coated in black scatter to disguise them a bit more. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (misterboggler @ 20 Mar 2008, 10:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello - read your problem and can tell you how I got round it if you like ? I didnt want to spend £££££'s on the little sheds and connecting rods so I bought a pack of the peco under board mounting plates as they fit Hornby motors as well - and a pack of evergreen strip plastic. With a bit of fettling you can make loads of connecting strips - once you have made one with the hole for the pm inthe right place and the hole to attach to the point you can use it as a template for others and its way cheaper plus you dont get all the small brown sheds all over your layout. Ive used Metcalfe buildings etc to cover the motors up or hollow coal mounds using pots etc painted black and coated in black scatter to disguise them a bit more. Hope this helps you.

Yes indeed, your tip is appreciated - thank you. Regards Double00.

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (double00 @ 20 Mar 2008, 15:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes indeed, your tip is appreciated - thank you. Regards Double00.

No problem - its madness that you cant buy them seperately - Ive just bought some of the new peco surface mount motors from signal box in rochester - discount for 6 or more and no messing about with rods etc etc - just dirty them up or hide them under a bush - MAGIC STUFF

·
Registered
487 Posts
QUOTE (misterboggler @ 20 Mar 2008, 18:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No problem - its madness that you cant buy them separately - Ive just bought some of the new Peco surface mount motors from signal box in Rochester - discount for 6 or more and no messing about with rods etc etc - just dirty them up or hide them under a bush - MAGIC STUFF

Interested in what you say regarding Peco point motors. I have six Peco points on my layout - having six Hornby point motors and housing from a previous set up. Utilising Hornby unit motors, this required to enlarge hole in plastic rod to fit the Peco points. Personal view only - I find Peco points much superior to Hornby type. Peco points are more reliable and last in my case - years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
curious ? the designs are basically the same as Im lead to believe that Hornby basically nicked the peco design once the patent on the cross movement of the point bar elapsed - as previously their points had a different mechanical action. Despite all the press stuff and the supposed competition between manufacturers they realise that at the end of the day their stuff has to be cross compatible or they will be accused of forcing the consumer to purchase one range only for their layouts etc and by doing so effectively design themselves out of the market - any way enough consumerist economics - hopefully if its just the matter of a bit larger hole then it should be an easy fix - failing that drop mr kohler a line at Hornby or Emma Brett in their customer service team. They have been extremely helpful to me and are always open to ideas on their product range. Best Regards Chris -

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
My prefrence is for the SEEP motors, have under mounted them and wired them up with an inline CDU with push to make buttons on a mimik board, so far all worked when tested

Is the 'days of old' when first started gettin into electrics, Andii and me used the old point side-mounted Hornby motors (both versions, metal and plastic) and they worked fine, just looked wrong having a box next to the track

Like all things in this hobby, its just a matter of preferance & personnel chioce. As is so often said, It would be a dull world if we all liked the same!

Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
be aware i have had a problem when using the hornby huts with motors inside if you only use the short link into the hut then as a coach passes they can hit the hut with overhang of the coach i thought id checked this but then my son used some of my mk11d coaches and found the problem, This was on his bedroom layout

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hornby point huts if placed directly where the point is joined to a rail curve using the attached link, will cause the coach to slightly hit the hut.
In such cases, the black plastic extension rod provided with the hut accessory is used to further distance the motor and hut from the rail edge.
My help request was for the black plastic extension rod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts