Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone has told me that the current Southern Railway coaches are in fact poor quality models of GWR Collett coaches painted Green.

I tend to agree. Does anyone else know the history of these hybrid coaches. Whatever they are they are not Southern.

Roll on October 2006 when if the rumours are true we will have an announcement about the Maunsell coaches.

Stephen.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear Stephen,

For a quick analysis of Southern r-t-r coaches in 4mm scale, I would refer you to the SEmG website SEmG FAQ SR Coaches

In the middle of this page you will see a reference to the Hornby coaches - "These models are not a realistic model of anything Southern - these coaches are of a "generic" 1920s British design, more GWR than SR".

With all of these SR passenger locomotives being produced, especially the new M7 and N15 (King Arthur), the 00 market is crying out for some Maunsell coaches, or even earlier LSWR designs for the M7 in its branchline days.

As you have said, we will have to wait for 2007 now.

Regards
John Russell
Vienna, Austria

·
Registered
41 Posts
As a Southern fan I was looking forward to new Maunsell coaches this year, but alas another year of waiting. As you say John what are we going to pull behind all these new locos

·
Registered
763 Posts
The Bachmann Bulleids seem to be slowly inflating in price on ebay at the moment. especially since hornby announced its 2006 range and especially the green ones. On the subject of coaches i was surprised hornby haven't announced a super detail set to accompany the Granges released last year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hope the Bachmann Bulleid coaches are brought up to the standard of the locos. I once had some of them, not Bachmanns finest!
Thomas

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear Thomas,

Based on the fact that the old series of numbers (34-xxx) is being used and the price is only 18.50 GBP, I am fairly sure these are a re-issue of the range and not new tooling to the Blue Riband standard.

Regards
John Russell
Vienna, Austria

P.S. Where do you live, in relation to Vienna?

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (John @ 26 Jan 2006, 22:08)P.S. Where do you live, in relation to Vienna?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear John, I live in Kronstorf, a village near Enns. Enns is on the A1 motorway before Linz.
It is the first time I realize that I am not the only one living in Austria with an interest in British railway modelling!

Kind regards,
Thomas

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't understand the theory of producing great southern locos, and having no decent coaches to pull behind them

When Bachmann and Hornby started producing up to date coaches, I like a lot of others thought they had realised this as well, and were going to make up to date coaches for all regions. So why no coaches this year ? It would have been better to produce one less loco and make the Southern coaches, as a lot of people wanted them.
Bachmann's Bullieds are not up-graded, so there is going to be a lot of great Southern locos waiting for a train.

Hi Thomas

·
Registered
763 Posts
Its probably one for next year i suspect. The LMS loco's built to new superdetail spec have been waiting a few years for some updated stock as would the LNER stuff had the 2004 releases not been put back into last year. You could always run a rake of bachmanns mk1's behind them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.