Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst a lot of Hornby spares are available for the general wear out items, such as brushes etc Does anyone know where you can purchase items such as cab glazing battery boxes and other small items that may be useful bits and bobs. I want glazing for a few of my older Britannia class locos. Any ideas anyone

·
Registered
763 Posts
Modelspares of Burnley or East Kent models seem to be the best bet for spare parts, modelspares have a basic website at

http://www.modelspares.com/
this has a product list which whist being a few months old is probably still accurate,if you can't find the item on the list give send them an email and they usually reply within a couple of days.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Modelspares has a full (11 pages) spares and price list that can be downloaded and printed. Each time that you place an order, a copy of their list is included.

·
Registered
213 Posts
With regard to Hornby spare parts hopefully the following might clarify the situation,- as this subject is often the cause of confusion.

Body detailing parts such as cab glazing and battery boxes are not available as spare parts from Hornby,they usually only offer 'consumable' items,-ie those parts that are subject to wear and tear through running the loco.
Basically they are in business to sell ready-to-run items in red boxes,not supply detailing parts for scratch building/conversions,..they leave that to the aftermarket suppliers.
If you want glazing for an old Britannia,you'll have to make your own from clear perspex,or suchlike..
If you go to Hornby's website you can download their loco service sheets and from them you can see what parts are available,note that the bodies [and usually chassis blocks] have no part numbers attached,-they are not supplied as spare parts to service dealers by the Hornby service department.

BUT! -If you look at the adverts in the modelling press from East Kent Models and Modelspares you'll see them advertising loco/coach/wagon bodies and numerous other parts that don't appear on the service sheets....HOW

This is how it works:-
When Hornby production was in Margate, from time to time the finance department would issue an "excess stock list" to those dealers which expressed an interest.This listed already manufactured parts that weren't required by the factory for future production and weren't needed by the service department,which could then be sold on to recoup some money on items that were sitting in the factory doing nothing except taking up space and gathering dust [lots of it in some cases!]
Quantities and state of the items varied considerably,-from a handful of one item to thousands of another.
It seems the factory wasn't always very efficient and often over-produced some components,-far more than would be needed to make into finished goods...
From the dealers point of view,some of these were of interest and therefore saleable to the public
bit many items weren't,-and these almost certainly ended up in a landfill site somewhere [Richborough before it closed]
In most cases the purchaser would have to take the whole amount of an item that was offered,-only if there was a vast quantity of an expensive item,or more than one party was interested,would the amount be divided down.
This is how some dealers can still offer spares that were manufactured several years ago,and this is the source of items such as partly finished/fitted or unpainted bodies etc.and some small fittings.
This applies to Margate prodution only and I understand that their building[no longer a factory] there has now been cleared of all this stock.

With the switch of production to China things are very different..
Hornby don't own their production facility,and the Sanda Kan factory will only supply finished goods,if spare parts for them are required they have to be ordered at the same time,-they are only made when the item is on the production line.
This is why some items will not always be available to the service department.

Now, you will notice from their advert that East Kent Models are offering China -made loco bodies,these are from production from about 3 years ago,and it came about because when producing the locos Hornby ordered some extra bodies to cover warranty repairs/breakages in transit etc. After 2 years when the locos were no longer covered by the warranty period these bodies effectively became "excess stock" and were offered to this dealer,but I understand this could have been a 'one-off' occurance.
The other way spare bodies appear is if the dealer splits up complete locos and sells the major components seperately, this usually only happens,in the case of steam locos,if there is a sale of the chassis first as demand for bodies is nearly always more than that for the chassis[due,of course, to people putting these bodies on scale chassis,-mainly in EM and P4 gauges].This happens on an ad-hoc basis so these bodies don't appear in the adverts.
Some dealers will occasionally be offered boxes of 'scrap',considered beyond economic repair by Hornby,-and this can be a source of parts,-but often bodies will be in a marked or damaged state,-but I understand this also may no longer be made available by Hornby,concerned that some sub-standard models are finding their way onto the market described as new,rather than second-hand.

Now,if I had a quid for every time I had to explain that,-I'd be a very rich man indeed!

Modelspares' web address has already been posted,East Kent Models don't have a website,but they can be contacted at:-

EAST KENT MODELS,
89 HIGH STREET,
WHITSTABLE,
KENT.
CT5 1AY
Tel.01227 770777

To obtain their comprehensive spares list send two loose first-class stamps and a stamped,self-addressed envelope to the above address.

After typing all that out I hope it's of some help...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all especially DS239. I was aware of the spares suppliers EKM and Burnley. Sad isn't it that you can't buy all bits. Fancy having a Jag but the spark plugs only come with a complete engine and gearbox.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Fancy having a Jag but the spark plugs only come with a complete engine and gearbox.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What makes you think they don't behave in a similar way? I had the speed compensation valve on a Rover 820 steering rack die (I blamed speed humps) which gave me super sensitive steering at 70mph - try that in the outside lane of a motorway. Could I have the valve replaced? Could I heck - I had to have a whole new rack. I can still remember the repair bill was about £600 and that was about 10 years ago. There are plenty of other "assemblies" in a car that have to be replaced as a unit - eg the voltage regulator goes in the alternator - that will be a recon alternator sir - kerching goes the cash register.

David

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hornby - "The factory wasn't always very efficient" and by the look of some models, production has not changed much if at all. I have now personally ignored Hornby's all new lines of models offered.
Take the c35 Hymek diesel - light as a feather and feels more of a toy than a model. Open up the c35 (not an easy experience?) to find a flimsily motor ever seen - it has driving gears so thin and wobbly, it is a wonder the gears remain attatched. Two lead weights attached to the chassis by use of electrical brown tape. Only only one of the bogies are powered driven and again the power feed take up are poorly secured to the bogy chassis.
The c35 Hymek does indeed run quite well, though at times stops abruptly with no explanation as to why so.
Costing when bought at £54 new is far to expensive in comparison to say the Hejan c35 model at £63, a far more superior model - especialy the Heljan c35 being fitted with 5 pole motor.
I realise that Hornby has a large clientel of modellers who will shout against and resent in what I believe.
Hornby as stated by another forum member, no long keep stock of spares, being no longer the producing factor of its model - is it not more true to say that Hornby is more interested in buyers of their new models - as read many times, Hornby as all manufacturers, remain answerable to the board of directors and shareholders and not the requirements of its individual customers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (double00 @ 19 Feb 2006, 17:41)Hornby as all manufacturers, remain answerable to the board of directors and shareholders and not the requirements of its individual customers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In that case shouldn't Hornby order spare loco bodies, for which there is a great demand and which fetch high prices when available, and make some more profit for its shareholders?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Re hornby hymek
Hornby will at any given opportunity re release any loco in their range if a competitor announces a newer upgraded version of it... Western,hymek,class25 jinty and even the 37 all old hat out of date and all reissued as soon as a rival announced them in their range. I'm surprised they haven't reissued the old lima 33 one last time. They usually list it for a couple of years then drop it into the Thomas range.
I had a newer (late 70's early 80's)hymek and the old triang one ran better and pulled more. Flogged both and bought the heljan one instead, a very good move!
If you want one Rails are still selling them cheap if you sign up to their mailing list.

Re Rover 800 Steering rack an absolute pig to remove, £600 was that a dealer price?Do you fancy stripping the rack down to fix it? alternator cheaper to fit a recon than try to source spare parts and prat around fitting them, also probably break something else in the process and not find out until its been refitted. Blame the throw away world for the availability of spares for most things these days. Also they don't fit themselves either unless your car is called Christine!!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Re hornby hymek, etc

There are modellers out there who want models without fidly bits that run straight out of the box and on radius one curves and can be handled by younger family members. The Hornby Hymek and Class 37 fill this want. Lets not forget that Hornby have had some success with these models hence new liveries have been produced.

Also small parts mean you can't offer products to be used by the under 14's age group. Hornby do offer products for under 14's. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Bachmann and others are not able to.

You also have to remember that there are a large number of older folk also who have small layouts with radius one curves and who derive pleasure from their small layout as this is all they have the space for. Pennies count and whatever is said there is no doubt that the Hornby models are lower priced than those of their competitors. Many older folk also don't want fiddly bits as it makes handling difficult.

Hornby do say that the hobby covers the whole age range from 4 to 104 and their products cover this spectrum.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
487 Posts
I decided to run my Hornby c35 Hymek, and after much jerking the c35 settled down and came under full control - that is passing through the station area, a loud crack could be heard and several model passengers were scattered everywhere.
A buffer was found on the platform, and examining the c35 showed its left hand buffer was missing (well, had become detached). The c35 buffers are spring loaded, a search for the spring was retrieved some distance along the track. Refitting the spring/buffer proved an easy task - well, placing c35 back on the track, buffer/spring once again shot out and disappeared into space. Again buffer was found, but not the spring - hours of searching for the spring has proved negative (annoying as somewhere in the room floor space, hides the spring).
The method used by Hornby to secure the buffer/spring within the buffer bar is very poor - as the continuous rubbing of the buffer shaft against the plastic wall of the buffer bar, makes it unable to hold securely the shaft of the buffer (brass).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Christine was a film about a car that regenerated after every accident/encounter. Keep your eyes open for a further showing I will assure you that you will be enthralled

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Don @ 19 Feb 2006, 18:29)Shouldn't Hornby order spare loco bodies, for which there is a great demand and which fetch high prices when available?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said in my previous post,-Hornby are a manufacturer of ready-to-run items,-not a supplier of parts for scratchbuilders/kitbashers/finescale modellers,-they want you to buy complete '00' gauge locos and rolling stock in red boxes,-if you want a certain loco body buy a complete loco,unbolt the chassis and sell it on,-put it on eBay [for example],theres bound to be someone interested in it.....
Also how much of a demand do you think there is?,-not nearly as much as you think,I'll bet,-certainly not enough for them to change their policy and production schedules,-you're talking of [literally] a handful of sales here in comparison to the large volumes of product they shift through the large stores and mail-order catalogue companies etc.etc.
It's all a question of perspective;-large volume sales=large profits=happy shareholders!
It's just not cost-effective for them to do otherwise,-think about it!

BTW. CHRISTINE -A 1958 PLYMOUTH FURY

An excellent book by Stephen King,-later made into a pretty good film

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>how much of a demand do you think there is?,-
You remind of phone calls I used to take about 10 years ago:-
Them: "Why don't you write a printer driver for printer x?"
Me: "We wouldn't sell enough to cover the costs"
Them: "We'd be interested. We've got over 60 Sun workstations".
Me: "How many would you buy?"
Them: "One. The workstations are networked together".
Me: "That's not really enough to make it worthwhile"
Them: "Really?"

Of course if they had had Silicon Graphics workstations they wouldn't have needed a printer at all. The graphics on those were so good they made moving pictures not prints...

David

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 18 Feb 2006, 17:47)Modelspares of Burnley or East Kent models seem to be the best bet for spare parts, modelspares have a basic website at

http://www.modelspares.com/
this has a product list which whist being a few months old is probably still accurate,if you can't find the item on the list give send them an email and they usually reply within a couple of days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have found Model Spares to be of great help just when i thought there were no spares for my old Hornby HST 125's i was pointed in Model Spares direction and found all i need from them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To whom this may be of interest, last week I got the following message from the Hornby Service Department:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

On April 10th all our spares will be going on line at www.hornby.com

Kind regards
Customer Care"

·
Registered
763 Posts
That is a good idea assuming they have some spares to list of course. Usually a message to them regarding spares gets a reply of try east kent or modelspares.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They didn't tell me direct about spares going online in April the guy mentioned the part i am after will be available in early April.
I am after a diode for my HST dummy car and so far Model Spares haven't replied to my email and a friend suggested Maplins who proved to be not familiar with electronics and trains.
I'll give Model Spares a ring i think because i have used them before so i have faith in them.
East Kent Models has been mentioned so i might try them too.
It's great knowing that there are many ways of still getting spares for the older trains.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts