1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Recently on impulse i bought one of these:

Hornby Class 8F (Hornby Website)

When i run it on my layout it seems to go very very slowly compared to my other "modern" train (the rest of my set is my old one from the 80's plus various voluntary contributions, hoping to rectify that at christmas....)

Is that intentional with this model? Has anyone else found this? Owt i can do about it?

Cheers

Marc

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (birkettm @ 4 Nov 2008, 19:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello.

Recently on impulse i bought one of these:

Hornby Class 8F (Hornby Website)

When i run it on my layout it seems to go very very slowly compared to my other "modern" train (the rest of my set is my old one from the 80's plus various voluntary contributions, hoping to rectify that at christmas....)

Is that intentional with this model? Has anyone else found this? Owt i can do about it?

Cheers

Marc

*** Earlier Hornby loco's were all able to overtake a TGV in scale speed - most unrealistic. Most newer models are astill over-fast but at least run better at slow speeds because of the better gearing/motor combinaton.

The Hornby 8F as is is capable of more than exceeding the prototypes top speed - it was a freight locomotive although also used on passenger trains when required... Only the LMS built 8F's had balanced wheels to allow faster than freight speeds - those which were LNER built were restricted in top speed because they were not balanced.

Richard

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 4 Nov 2008, 13:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure how slow is slow but at scale speds of 60, 70 & 80 mph respectively it should travel 18.12 cm, 21.14 cm & 24.16 cm respectively. If it's reaching these speeds then perhaps you are running your other locos at unrealistic speeds.
If that is meant to be centimetres per second, then the values quoted would correspond more closely to 30, 35, 40mph: which are much more likely speeds for an 8F in freight traffic.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 4 Nov 2008, 18:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If that is meant to be centimetres per second, then the values quoted would correspond more closely to 30, 35, 40mph: which are much more likely speeds for an 8F in freight traffic.

You're absolutely right. I inadvertantly quoted from my N Scale Speed Conversion Table.

Sorry,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts