Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently seen advertised on ebay two Hornby steam locomotives which, except for running number, appear to be identical in respect of colour, lining, emblem, and weathering, but they have different Hornby R numbers. It is not the first time that I have noticed this either. I presume that the different numbers are in some way related to the age of the engine and also possibly what type of motor and whether it is tender or engine driven.

Is there some list, preferably on a website, to which I could refer, to find out about age and motor type? Thank you for any help that you can give. Robert

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I understand there is a new edition of Ramsey's due out early next year. Its editor is Pat Hammond and reference to www.mremag.com which he runs will tell you when it's ready.
There are also the three volumes by Pat on the history of Triang/Hornby. These are expensive but give considerable detail and many photos on engines, rolling stock and accessories - fasinating!
Regards,
John

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE There are also the three volumes by Pat on the history of Triang/Hornby. These are expensive but give considerable detail and many photos on engines, rolling stock and accessories - fasinating!

It depends on the definition of "expensive". With locos at £80 then my view is one of Pat Hammond's books at £50 is remarkable value!

Those interested in the most recent Hornby period 1972 to 1996 should definitely place Volume 3 on their shopping list as owners will become instant Hornby gurus with this book!

Story of Rovex Volume 3 1972-1996 is available on a certain website right now for a bargain £38.99 and at this price has to be a "must have" for all Hornby fans!

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts