Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hornby T9 has worked perfectly but I've broken one of the wires on the electrical connector plug to the tender. Soldering it is beyond my skill level. I don't understand why the wiring should go via the tender - I'm analogue. Is it possible take the power directly from the pick-ups to the motor?

·
Premium Member
2,882 Posts
The wiring in many (most?) modern locomotives is routed via the tender, as this normally provides a more convinent and easier to access location for installing a DCC decoder than within the often very small-boilered steam locomotives we have in the UK....!

A replacement plug can be bought from the likes of Peters Spares (link), and should be relatively simple to swap out, although I appreciate what you say about your hesitation on soldering. Similarly, whilst it would be possible to take the tender connection 'out of the equation', this would also require soldering and you would also loose the additional pickups that the tender provides...

If you're unsure on the soldering, my best advice would be to speak to your local model shop about whether they offer this type of service.

Regards,

Cameron.

·
In depth idiot
8,459 Posts
Electrical soldering is such a key skill for model railway. A model railway shop worth the name should be able to teach you how, (best to make a weekday appointment to find them at a quiet time) as a precursor to selling you the soldering iron and soft solder, and quite possibly a wire stripper.

Once you can, you will wonder how you did without. The initial expense is redeemed thanks to no need for 'power clips' and other proprietary connectors.
...Is it possible take the power directly from the pick-ups to the motor?
Yes, and it is desireable to do so. The loco's driven wheels are easily the best for pick up, and most steam loco models only need pick up from the driven wheels; otherwise how would four and six coupled tank locos work? Pick up wipers acting on tender wheel backs are thieves of traction...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
One of the T9s driving wheels has traction tyres so cannot be used for pickups. That leaves you with one driving wheel and the front bogie pickups only which are a bit unreliable.

An alternative is to contact Hornby themselves who should be able to do the repair for you at a reasonable cost.

·
In depth idiot
8,459 Posts
It would be classy of Hornby to revise the T9 and V 4-4-0's to match their very competent D16/3 which works very well without traction tyres. (A friend has a Hornby V on which a plain tyred driver was fitted to eliminate the traction tyre, and it runs and pulls well.)

·
In depth idiot
8,459 Posts
Well, yes! But I live in hope. Not least, because of the RTR OO models I own, of those that are in what I would consider the 'best standard currently available' category, Hornby's product is the largest group. There's capability to deliver refinement in short, and I am all for that. Hopefully the activity of able competitors will focus minds...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the T9s driving wheels has traction tyres so cannot be used for pickups. That leaves you with one driving wheel and the front bogie pickups only which are a bit unreliable.

An alternative is to contact Hornby themselves who should be able to do the repair for you at a reasonable cost.
[/QUOTE

Thanks Robert. I've sent the loco to a repairer, via Hornby. I'll update the site when I have a result.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts