Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was looking forward to giving the new T9 a run but it won't go.

Having put it on my programming track the decoder is not recognised by my ZTC controller ( CV1 is supposed to be set to 3 out of the box according to the instructions ).

Will not take a new adrress either.

Anybody else having a problem with 30310, or any of the other locos ....?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes. I have seen one other 30310 that also wouldn't go at my local dealer. Dealer was baffled and was sending it back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have just purchased t9 and my trouble was positioning the chip in a suitale place in the tender as it was preventing the base locating squarly which meant all four wheels did not sit on the track properly. I also dont think the pickups contact the tender wheels very well. Another worry was when it stuck on the track I helped it along when it suddenly reversed direction, shot off in the oposite direction without any response from the controller. I hope maybe teething problems.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If your ZTC kit is anything like mine then you probably can't get it to read back the CVs from any loco so you won't know whether the loco isn't picking up or if the chip's a dud.

That said, the T9 in its non-DCC guise has been reported in various places by others as having pickup problems. This has been corrected by making sure that the collectors on the back of the tender wheels are actually touching the wheels all the time. Be careful that the wipers don't press too hard on the backs of the wheels as that might give the loco pulling problems.

Keith.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have just received my 30310 from Hattons and used a TCS MC2 decoder, which is very small, and it fitted nicely into the tender. No apparent problems with the pickups.
A splendid looking model !

Dave

·
Registered
531 Posts
My 30310 would not operate in DCC (Digitrax Super Chief) or DC mode. It was like the famous Monty Python parrot!
My local model shop swapped it on the spot and the replacement runs well on my DCC test track and was operated DC on both West Pennard and Williton (!) layouts at the Edington model railway exhibition at the weekend. Its hauling power is much better than I expected.
My local model shop had not had any other T9 rejects but had quite a number of Hornby diesels and electrics returned. Still waiting for delivery of 120. Any thoughts on the best chip to put in it (it only comes DCC ready )? I have hopes of one day putting sound in it!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
All versions of the T9 come in both DCC-fitted and DCC-ready versions. I bought the DCC-fitted version of 30310 just before Xmas (R2712X). Runs extremely well with excellent slow-running characteristics - can't fault the Hornby decoder. I got mine from Hattons but they quickly sold out of this version.

·
Registered
531 Posts
QUOTE All versions of the T9 come in both DCC-fitted and DCC-ready versions

Think you will find 120 is the exception (unfortunately). It is certainly not on the Hornby website as an X version and my model shop can only order as DCC ready version. I do not understand the logic.
Glad to be proved wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts