Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I have one of Hornbys T9s,which looks very much the part,have some not very steep gradients,and will not take 2 Hornby mansell coaches and a four wheel van,I think the tyred wheels are just lifting from the track at start of the slope.
I think that maybe take a small amount off the bogie pivot might help.
I would have someone do the job,as I have Motor Neurone Diease and my hands are pretty useless
If front bogie was removed and loco stood on flat surface would sit straight or would fall forword, I presume
that wires for the bogie pickups go though the pivot,as I cannot see any wires underneath.
The T9 that I have when recevied it new from a shop on ebay,7 out of 8 tender pickups where not touching the wheels
good old Hornby they might get there in the end.

Morry Cook.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There does seem to be great variation in performance of these great loco's. I was very lucky with mine from Hatton's, worked straight out of the box.
The gradient on my outdoor railway is not much, but goes on for a long way(10mtrs or so) and the T9 has no problems with 7 coaches.Link shows one end return loop.
The first bit of T9 on it's own was a surprise. It was pulling 7 coaches but the undulations of the track had caused an uncoupling and when I switched the camera on, it came out from behind the trees on it's own!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I received my T9 NRM soon after it was available from Ontracks, it would only pull one coach with a back wind going down hill. I contacted Hornby who advised me, if I felt I was able, to take about a mm from the pivot on the front bogie. It was quite a simple operation but even with that taken off it will still only pull three coaches but only on the level. Very impressed with the finish, but dissappointed with the pulling power. Contact Hornby customer services and they will tell you how to do it, or return it to Hornby and they will do it for you. Hope this helps. Bernard

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi
I had two T9 when they first came out, both would not pull very well at all. And one kept coming off on the point work.
My entire track is code 75 and none of my other locos have any problems at all, I phoned Hornby up about this and was told their was nothing wrong with them?
Asked if I could send them back to have them looked at, but was told their was nothing they could do with them.
It was only after they had been out a few weeks that that I started to see other people having the same problem as me with them.
I know they are beset with problems and their has been a lot about this on the web, but I was not happy to do all the fixing myself.
So I sent them back to the shop to get a refund , I am waiting for Hornby to bring out new ones that will address this problem (I HOPE) so until then I am holding on to my cash.
With the new schools coming out soon, I am having second thought about getting one of them too.
I will wait and see if anything comes up on this site about them first before I hand any more cash over for poor running, poor pulling, pipe on the wrong sides ,under frames wrong way round.

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,919 Posts
Hello Morry,
It''s definitely the front bogie pivot. On mine, it was actually the collar that holds the pivot pin in place, slightly different cause, same effect. If you had the bogie off, the Loco' would indeed balance on the drivers, but the bogie does lift the front drivers, decreasing traction. When you have it done, get whoever does it to take just over one turn off the spring as well. as this seemed to be too strong on mine.
Having got it off E- Bay, I suppose you're in the same position as me when I order stuff from England, in as much as it's awkward to send it back.
The wires don't go through the pivot, but through two holes in the bogie frame, these are really fine, so need to be trated carefully (guess how I know).
Once I'd ironed out a few problems with mine (yes I know I shouldn't have had to), it's turned out be a lovely runner, pulls much more than I'd ever want it to, and looks the ducks nuts.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I have closely followed the trials and tribulations of the T9, I have the 8 wheeled tender variety and it has no problems pulling four Maunsell coaches. Is there a difference between the pulling power of the 6 and 8 wheeled tender locos?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the NRM 8 wheel tender version and as stated earlier it is still a lousy puller even with the pivot pin shortened. I am very disappointed. In future I am going to wait to let things settle down before I buy, but on second thoughts, if I do that the darn engine will be sold out with no more being made. The answer must be that Hornby MUST get it right first time and stop this situation happening again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It must be a quality control problem as some are good and some are bad. I am over the moon with my Southern T9 with 6 wheel tender.
Looks great with the Maunsell green rolling stock. The slow speed running is as smooth as silk with 7 coaches.

·
Registered
283 Posts
From a none-T9 owner..

How heavy is the model - relative to other similar sized models ?

I have heard that Hornby could not get as much extra weight as they wanted into the chassis/body...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts