Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi all
I would like to buy a Hornby T9, but have heard so much about poor haulage, pipes on the wrong way round, under frames on the tender back to front.
As I would have to mail order it, and do not want one that has any of these problems .
What I would like to know has this been sorted out now?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi
I have a T9 30724 which Ihave had about 2 months,when gave it its first run it kept stopping on dead frogs,and I thought it should run no problem,on checking the tender pickups 7 out of 8 were not touching the wheels,after have a bit of a job getting the tender top off,and sorting out the pickups it runs well but would pull the skin of a rice pudding,it will not take 2 Hornby mansell coaches and van up a not very steep gradient.I dont know if Hornby will ever sort the pulling problem out,as there is no room for any weight over the driving wheels as the motor is in the way,I have that taking a very small amount from the bogie pivot,to more weight on to the front driving wheels helps,as for pipes and tender frames wrong,mine seem to by ok,then I could not be as fussy as some.the M7 has the same problem.
Some people have said that T9s pull well,so it seems that they do vary a lot.

Morry.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the BR versions 30724 and 30310 The first I got was 30724. Had the same pickup problem reported by morreycook. Also could not pull more than 2 coaches. All the models also have the injector pipes on the wrong way round, but this is extremely easy to fix - they are simply mounted on the wrong side and all that is necessary is to remove them, drill a small hole in a slightly different place than the original locating hole, and superglue each fitting to the other side.
Only the 6 wheel tender version has the tender underframes mounted the wrong way round and both of mine have the 8 wheel tenders

The fix for the haulage problem is also very simple. The problem is that some models have slightly too much bogie pivot pin protuding upwards at the top of the chassis, which rubs on the bottom of the footplate and slightly lifts the front drivers. Very careful filing of the top of the pin, accessible when the body is removed, lowers this the millimeter or so that is required and then the model sits properly on the traction tyres. I may not be explaining this too well, but search the various forums on keyword T9 and you'll see photos of how to do it. Some people have cut a small hole above the bogie pin point, but I think that is overkill. When you get the model, sit it on a piece of glass and push gently down on the chimney. It should be possible to push it down a millimeter or so, so that you can see the rear driving wheel flanges lose contact with the glass. If there is no movement you need to make the pin modification.

my 30724 also had to have ALL the tender pickups adjusted slightly to provide reliable pickup, and the fall plate fell off. Superglue fixed that back in short order

The second one I got - 30310 was perfect from the box, pulled 8 coaches with ease and needed nothing except the injector pipes swapped around.

If you want one, I wouldn't let these small issues deter you, they are fabulous models. It is true you can wait for the 2009 models, which will probably have all the problems sorted, but then they'll cost another 15-20 pounds or so, given the way prices are increasing

Norm

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the SR liveried '120' version (8 wheel tender) and had no problems at all (although I expect the injector pipes are wrong, but it's not something I particularly notice!).
Haulage is fine, although I've only tested up to 6 coaches, although I've used some rather old coaches that are not particularly free running without issues.

Mike D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got the 8wheel tender NRM model. It would pull hardly one coach when I first tried it. I have done the filing of the pivot pin and it will still only pull 2 coaches and a brake van and slips on any tighter (3rd radius) curves. I'm not impressed, but it so fantastic to look at I wouldn't part with it. I'll just have to use it for light duties.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have the 30724 version with 8 wheeled tender. To start with it wouldn't pull more than 3 or so coaches without slipping. Following forum advice I cut a hole in the underside of the smokebox area to stop the bogie pivot fouling the footplate. This improved things a bit (i.e. loco tips forward when front pressed down). Having read this thread I got the T9 off the shelf again and progressively loaded it with more and more coaches. Got it up to working 13 coaches (all free running) round the layout, far more than I need it to, with some slipping at starting. (layout has no gradients and large radius curves). Didn't want to wear the traction tyres but as long as leading drivers are on the track it will pull very well. I was very surprised at this. It'll be fine with the short trains I need it to pull on the layout.

Loco certainly looks good running, well worth persevering with.

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Of course putting this in perspective, T9's were not the strongest of engines and three or four coaches at the most were all they used to haul, so going around with only two coaches is just like the real thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
absolutely, 2 or 3 coaches on the North Cornwall line for example was about it in practice. Got a "railway Roundabout" video for 1960 that shows T9s on rakes of 4 coaches in Cornwall. But the Hornby model does look the part, glad I got it now.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Interesting how different experiences have been with new T9s. But everyone seems to agree it is a fabulous looking model. I bought my 2 in February - 120 and 31310 (latter DCC on board). The first 31310 did not move in DC or DCC mode but its replacement was fine and like 120 it has a respectable hauling power.
I think my advice would be to avoid purchasing mail order if you can and run the proposed purchase either in the shop or close by eg at an exhibition on a friendly exhibitors layout. Any problems can be instantly sorted with the retailer. I am fortunate that our local model shop is next door to our Clubroom and twice this year Hornby locos have been instantly exchanged. Last week my Schools Class (Blundells) arrived and on opening the box I found one buffer was loose in the packaging. I offered to stick the buffer on with super glue but the model shop insisted on exchanging for a perfect one. OK I paid a pound or two (not much more) than the mail order bargains after allowing for postage but had my replacement locos on the spot.
Personally I just had to have a T9 asap but if possible why not arrange to pick yours up at a local model railway exhibition? (Sorry Torrington if you live in the REd Centre of OZ and this is absolute tripe!)

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,921 Posts
Just to be different, my haulage problem was caused by the collar on the bogie pivot pin, rather than the pin itself. I took it off, and turned about .75 mm off the end and slipped it back on; problem solved. I also had an issue with the soldered connections under the cab, where the wires from the tender plug are joined to the motor wires. These were creating a partial short which did nothing on dc running, but as soon as I put a Lenz silver decoder in, it wouldn't work, the solution was to make a clean gap on this circuit board with the back of a modelling knife blade between the soldered connections. A TCS decoder worked where the Lenz wouldn't, so obviously, the Lenz is more sensitive to shorts (no bad thing), but I can't get on with TCS.
The tender frames and injector pipes were pretty easy to fix, and once these things have been done, it is as other people have said, a lovely model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts