Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested to see a second hand Hornby 2-6-4 tank engine on display.... (straight boiler, could be Ref R2738 ) Loco colour black, with "BRITISH RAILWAYS" in large white letters emblazened along the tank side. I have not seen this before and wondered if it referred to an actual prototype. The model had the appearance of a factory finish. Could anyone comment on this please.
Tiebar

·
In depth idiot
7,679 Posts
Before the newly formed nationalised network management had the well known 'Lion on a unicycle' emblem designed, locos needing repaint were simply lettered 'BRITISH RAILWAYS'. Whether this is specifically authentic to the particular loco represented would need a photo to be sure, but it is generically representative of how many locos appeared between 1948 and about 1952.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
There is one in the Hornby range. It's a Fowler 4P number 43322 with British Railways in the block script on the tender sides. Hornby catalogue number is R2398. This is sold out at Hornby so if a dealer still has one I'd grab it.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Damn that should have been 42322. Flaming keyboard doesn't know how to type

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hello Charles

I have one in stock
. Nice runner when I tested it too!

Richard

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I have a fleet of 2-6 4 tanks including several Fowler examples. The one in early BR livery is accurate
as there is a photograph of same in Wild Swan's Loco Profile on the Fowler 2-6-4 tanks.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I have a fleet of 2-6 4 tanks including several Fowler examples. The one in early BR livery is accurate
as there is a photograph of same in Wild Swan's Loco Profile on the Fowler 2-6-4 tanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts