Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Gary if you base your observations on personal experience then by all means you need to broaden your experiences. Your comments on DCC and modelling are
In fact I fell off my chair when I first read them. I don't want to seem like I am attacking but you need to stop these insane generalizations. It is not becoming.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE Judging from that Model Railroad TV series the folk in the USA seem to operate largely with toy like layouts.

This just shows that you need to get out more. If I were to base my perception of England on English TV that is shown in the United States I would think that every middle-aged Englishman was either effete, or went by the name of Captain Peacock and all of your women colored their hair blue after reaching a certain age. After travelling to England a dozen times I found this only half true.

These shows are often created by people who know nothing of trains so they already have a preconceived notion of grown men playing with trains. In the United States there is a reasonable sector of the hobby that do play with Toy Trains that are actually quite expensive antiques. But by enlarge the vast majority model in HO similar to the layouts in Model Railroader if you ever bothered to look at the magazine but maybe not quite so grand. Every club layout that I have ever visited is closer to the Model Railroader ideal than your toy train layouts which are more the playground of single rich collectors.

These generalizations are really tiresome and serve no useful purpose. I'm sorry but this narrow mindedness makes me really angry.

Believe it or not people run large layouts in the United States. Their houses are large, their cars are large and their women are large.
It's just the way it is here and these large layout require cab control, that's the reason for early adoption of DCC. It required fewer operators for a given number of trains. Toy Trains are expensive collector items that require a certain amout of wealth to setup. They form a small but important segment because of the money that is floating around but are not that common to come across in your daily travels of layout visits. What is shown on your TV is NOT representative. Do I make myself clear?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Now please don't take this as an attack on hobby train sets. If you had compared this to Germany then I would have agreed with you. Even their large show layouts are nothing but hobby train sets on steroids. There seeing trains run and using set track is very popular. But those are not as popular in the States amongst more experienced modellers. In the United States you are given a train set when you are younger but as you progress you probably will toss it. In Germany you won't toss it but extend it with additional track packs. This might be closer to what you are envisioning. That's awesome.

I use set track though my layout is a little different simply because I don't want to mess with it. I use Fleischmann track, points and point motors. I don't want to deal with a lot of separate pieces when it comes to track. But when I build a layout it always has complete scenery, built to the best of my ability.

Don't defend one aspect of the hobby by attacking another. It just weakens your own position. You like to purchase trains and see them run once in a while on a temporary layout if I'm not mistaken. I don't think I have ever attacked that or at least I am not aware of it and that's awesome. I do the same with slot cars.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hey just so everybody is clear I only stay angry for about 5 minutes.
Because we are from different countries there will be misconceptions on all sides. Hopefully this forum will work to clear that up and we can learn to respect each other.

I wish we had some experience modellers from Germany to tell us a little more as my information such as it is is limited to my 4 years living there and bi-annual trips.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
That would be nice. I always buy Fleischmann, Trix and Marklin Track Plan books even if I only take ideas from them or just to look at the pictures of the built layouts.

It is interesting how things spread in DCC. In Europe they were already developing systems that allowed the running of multiple trains and once DCC became available it dovetailed with the popularity of cab control in the United States and now it's even reached the UK where some of the more experienced modelers may be a little hesitent to make the switchover due to the expense and because the design of their smaller exhibition layouts may make DCC less of an advantage. How is that? This is a generalization of course but overall I think accurate. As is the comment over the uses of hobby train sets. In the US they are mostly crap and except for Lionel mostly discarded. While in Germany they are the more or less the same quality as individual pieces and kept and expanded. My thinking is in the UK it's somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Even though this thread started out a little rocky I think some of the conclusions are getting a lot more accurate. Sometimes the push for realistic operations seem a little too serious for me. I like something in the midldle between Continental and American with a little English modeling thrown in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts