Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hornby have announced that the track plans in the next edition of the Hornby Track Plan Book will take into account Hornby Digital control, the Skaledale building range and the latest developements in modelling techniques. Plans may include the use of flexible track for the first time. Another factor to influence plans will be the minimum radius that many recently introduced locomotives can operate on. There has been critiscm of the current Hornby track plan book in that it features too many plans with radius 1 curves that many of Hornby's locomotives will not operate on.

Hornby track plans have a tradition of being designed to provide the maximum operating and modelling enjoyment in the minimum of space and so it will be interesting to see what Hornby's suggestions for modellers are in 2007 given the promised radical redesign.

If any Model Rail Forum members have any suggestions for Hornby then now is the time to bring those ideas to the fore.

Hornby by now probably have the basic plans in place however it is not too late to offer up features that Hornby should consider for incorporation within their plans as they should still be able to modify plans at this stage.

Now is your chance for minor fame, if not fortune!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting comment there from one or two members about train set mentality.

Without sounding defensive I admit to having a train set mentality and it would be fantastic if MRF had more active members who simply like to play trains on their train set and have fun!

And it has to be said that whilst model railway exhibitions have good well modelled layouts on show, the stands that have the largest crowds and with crowds that watch the longest are those stands who have train set type layouts!

The fact is train set layouts always seem to have more activity with several trains operating at a time and if this is train set mentality then fantastic!

And if the Hornby Track Plan Book 2007 offers plans, that when combined with Hornby Digital, permit 4 or 5 trains to operate at the same time on clever well designed smallish layouts then this will be a massive step forward for the train set modeller.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS I often think that DCC experts have a train set mentality as it is the technical side of the hobby that interests them more than the modelling side. DCC experts more often than not have relatively poor modelling skills and are very happy to go with the train set mentality flow when it comes to the appearance of their layout!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE In the US 90% of the top modelers use DCC I would guess

But what percentage of the USA modellers are "top modellers"?

90% of 1% (the modelling superstars) is a much lower overall number than 10% of 99% (the rest of us!).

I comment as I find from personal experience. I accept that everybody's personal experiences will differ.

Hornby's new track plan book should do a very good job of introducing the world of DCC to those with a train set mentality.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE then by all means you need to broaden your experiences

When it comes to DCC I totally agree that I do. My experiance is limited to the UK.

Maybe its as a result of being more interested in the modelling side than DCC. I do feel that those layouts that have been built with a DCC set up have a more toy like appearance.

Judging from that Model Railroad TV series the folk in the USA seem to operate largely with toy like layouts.

Maybe the way the Americans and the British "do" railway modelling is somewhat different.

I am not talking club layouts here but layouts produced by individuals. Clubs will have areas of expertise in all aspects of the hobby and so it is possible to put your best modeller on the scenery and your best technician on the chassis to create a wonder layout.

The good thing about the Hornby Track Plans Book 2007 is that it will help every Hornby modeller to create fantastic DCC layouts that will be interesting to operate and that also look good.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
QUOTE If you had compared this to Germany then I would have agreed with you. Even their large show layouts are nothing but hobby train sets on steroids.

Hmm. Maybe this is where the missunderstanding lies. Thinking about it it does seem that the highest proportion of DCC layouts I have seen are based on overseas outline. Thankyou for clearing this up.

QUOTE I think attacking different aspects of the hobby undermines the whole basis of railway modelling

Totally agree 100%.

Lets refrain from implying that train set modellers are inferior.

There are more train set modellers out there than any other type of modeller and having done both the train set modelling and the exhibition type modelling I have to say that the train set modelling is more fun!!!

And I am convinced that the Hornby Track Plan Book 2007 will bring more fun to the hobby than any previous example. There are enthusiasts who enjoy simply copying exactly what Hornby create in their track plans.

Hornby should hold an annual competition for the best made track plan layout with generous prizes.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts