Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 30 Aug 2006, 11:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It would be nice if Hornby Could do some track plans of real places using there standard track or as close as rather than fictitious stations routes depots?

Peter

But if you're intending to base your layout on a real location the first thing to do is ditch their standard track with its 'toy train set' track spacing and geometry...

Hornby's track plan books have always been unashamedly aimed at the 'train set' end of the market,with emphasis on play value and their range of track packs,-let's face it,-it's the last place a serious modeller looking for fidelity to an actual prototype would look for inspiration..

Moving away from the Hornby track plans is probably the first step to railway modelling 'maturity'..

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 31 Aug 2006, 09:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And it has to be said that whilst model railway exhibitions have good well modelled layouts on show, the stands that have the largest crowds and with crowds that watch the longest are those stands who have train set type layouts!

Without wishing to pigeonhole people, generally speaking those crowds around these layouts consist in the main of kids with parents/grandparents in attendance,many of whom only have a passing interest in railways and appreciate the layout for its entertainment value,-something to keep the young 'uns amused,[nothing wrong in that BTW,this isn't a criticism] and also newcommers to the world of railways who only have a rudimentary knowledge of the prototype.

I think you'll find that those more seriously into the hobby,who know a bit more about real railways and their operation, or are modellers,[maybe in different fields] are spectators of the layouts that are based on a more prototypical scenario..[and that doesn't mean to say they can't have lots of loco or train movements going on]

I attended the Nottingham Bullwell show earlier this year,and the most popular layout there,with a constant viewing audience all weekend was 'Wibdenshaw',-a 'crowd pleaser' that's as about as far removed from a trainset as you can get..

QUOTE I often think that DCC experts have a train set mentality as it is the technical side of the hobby that interests them more than the modelling side. DCC experts more often than not have relatively poor modelling skills and are very happy to go with the train set mentality flow when it comes to the appearance of their layout!

I'm sorry,-but I'm with Makemineadouble on this one,I'm involved with a club 'EM' gauge layout that we are going to be wiring up to DCC standards,-and that definately isn't 'shake the box' trainset stuff....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts