Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Moving away from the Hornby track plans is probably the first step to railway modelling 'maturity'..

Real modelling as I see it is trying to recreate a place, whether real or fictional, as a scale model. Hornby and Peco track plans are very much extensions of the train set mentality as they create unrealistic layouts. The radius one curves are unrealistic and useless for most trains. My American locos and coaches can't even make it round radius three curves. Horses for courses though, the track plans do give ideas and food for thought for the beginner and you need to learn somewhere so maybe more advice on baseboards and creating different levels and things wouldn't go amiss. Also some problem solving advice for commonly encountered issues.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I would agree with most of the above re Gary's comments on DCC and modelling. There is room for all sorts in the modelling world. But train sets are where people start out when they are kids or not seriously interested in the hobby. It is a starting point. I think you can guess by the discussion on most of this forum that most of us have gone beyond this.
QUOTE The fact is train set layouts always seem to have more activity with several trains operating at a time and if this is train set mentality then fantastic!

I have several trains running at one time and I would not describe my layout as a train set.

QUOTE DCC experts more often than not have relatively poor modelling skills and are very happy to go with the train set mentality flow when it comes to the appearance of their layout!

I am astonished you thought you would get away with that.

The only DCC layouts I have seen that fit this description are the demo layouts.

QUOTE Maybe its as a result of being more interested in the modelling side than DCC. I do feel that those layouts that have been built with a DCC set up have a more toy like appearance.
To be honest my preference is for modelling scenery and buildings as opposed to rolling stock which I buy rtr but I use DCC. I don't think you can generalise on this in such a varied hobby.

QUOTE Judging from that Model Railroad TV series the folk in the USA seem to operate largely with toy like layouts.

Maybe thats because the country they are modelling is more toy like.
only kidding.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I agree completely with Dennis.

Gary, you need to go to the newsagents and get a copy of Model Railroader and look at some American layouts. There is nothing toylike about them. I actually find the attention to detail in America very high, in fact almost pedantic.
Your statement was guaranteed to get a reaction. If we want to avoid taking this forum into the depths of some other ones it may be best to avoid deliberately inflammatory statements.

Like Dennis says you can't base your impressions of US modelling on one programme especially one which is aimed at those just emerging from the equivelant of the Hornby train set mentality.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Don't defend one aspect of the hobby by attacking another. It just weakens your own position. You like to purchase trains and see them run once in a while on a temporary layout if I'm not mistaken. I don't think I have ever attacked that or at least I am not aware of it and that's awesome. I do the same with slot cars.

I think attacking different aspects of the hobby undermines the whole basis of railway modelling, which is that it it is a multi faceted, multi skilled hobby. We all have different areas of modelling and technology skilling that we focus on just as we focus on different eras and nationalities. We will obviously prioritise these due to our preferences and ability. This what is good about railway modelling, it's very varied and you can focus on whatever aspect takes your fancy regardless of how baffling it is to others.

I do the same with slot cars too.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE As is the comment over the uses of hobby train sets. In the US they are mostly crap and except for Lionel mostly discarded. While in Germany they are the more or less the same quality as individual pieces and kept and expanded. My thinking is in the UK it's somewhere in the middle.

In the UK It's about the same as Germany. The Train sets are made by Hornby and Bachmann which make reasonably good trains. While Hornby track is OK I have never seen or used their track so I don't know about that. But in general UK train sets would be ok. You don't get the top end sets like Maerklin and Fleischmann make but the market for that in the UK as discussed elsewhere is limited and would probably not be economically viable. In terms of getting in to the hobby it's the way to go. Until recently there was not the DCCoption but now that there is it's a good way to start. I reckon almost all British members of this forum probably started with a Hornby train set. I did, a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Almost every train and track manufacturer has a track plan book and they are good for inspiration and ideas. What all of them have in common is that they are trying to get you to buy their track and stick with their product. It's a shame they all weren't more compatible.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 5 Sep 2006, 13:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Even though this thread started out a little rocky I think some of the conclusions are getting a lot more accurate. Sometimes the push for realistic operations seem a little too serious for me. I like something in the midldle between Continental and American with a little English modeling thrown in.

Agreed, while the American desire for accuracy is comendable it creates trains that are very difficult to run in practise. I have decided not to buy anymore US outline as it's too hard. Shame as I like the locos but the crappy RP25 wheels and bad positioning of couplers etc just make it more hassle than it's worth. I don't get these problems with UK or German outline where opperational efficiency is more of an issue.

You need to get a balance between realism and workability. Lets face it if you built a scale rail layout your curves would be 40 foot wide. ( I really hope some pedant doesn't come back with "err no, 37 and half actually).
There has to be a degree of artistic license. It's really down to the layout owner how imaginative he wants to get. My preference is efficient workability. I hate derailments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts