Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one happen to know what code hornby track is ? I think it is code 100 but am not interiley shaw.

The reason why i ask is because i want some peco poitns and dont wont to buy the wrong coded points

One last question Are peco code 100 point isloted and or live ? because i am planning to go dcc so it would help if the point came live out of the box so to speak.

Kind Regards

Smiley

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Smiley,

The Peco ST items double00 refers to are the 'Set Track' items. These have similar radii to the Hornby track and points and are virtually interchangeable. The points have insulated frogs.

There are also points in Code 100 rail with a wider range of radii, mostly bigger that the set-track items. These are coded with the prefix SL for insulated frogs and SL-E for those with electrofrogs. Code numbers lie in the range 84-99. Higher coded points are not code 100 rail.

Best bet is to get yourself a Peco Catalogue, which makes things pretty clear.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you People Your answear were most helpful.

What are the key diffrence between elctrofrog and insulatedfrog?

Sorry for the nobbey question but i am just a begginer in regards to point wireing.

P.s I am planning to use totise point motor should that make any diffrence what type of point i buy?

hope you can help

Smiley

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
'Insulated' (or 'insulfrog) frog points [ the 'frog ' is the vee-shaped bit where one running rail dissects the other) have a plastic 'frog'....the metal, or contact rails being sufficiently far apart from the vee as to not create a short circuit when a loco wheel passes through the frog area.

The advantage with this system is that the point itself can be an electrical 'switch'....thus, if used to form a siding, each 'arm' of the point will be isolated electrically if the point blades are set 'against' that track.
Thus one could 'drive' a loco through the point onto the siding, set the point the other way, leaving the loco isolated electrically.

One major disadvantage to this type of point construction, is the 'presence' of the 'dead' portion of the frog.....a loco of short wheelbase, or limited pickup via its wheels, may well 'stall' if driven slowly through the point.....the 'gap' in the frog, necessary to allow the wheel flanges to pass, also creates a 'dip' into which the wheel descends, lifting the opposite side wheels just clear of the rail, hence the 'stall?'

@Electrofrog' points, have an 'all-metal' frog...which, as your electrical knowledge tells you, might lead to a permanent short circuit unless something is done to isolate the frog area.
Thus, the frog area is isolated by 'cuts' from the surrounding rails, and the correct polarity electricity is provided by wiring from the surrounding point rails, usually via a fancy switch...thus, whichever way the point is set, the correct polarity is supplied to the frog .
Separate power supplies may even be necessary to the tracks beyond the point.......
The primary advantage of the electrofrog principle is that locos have CONTINUOUS electrical supply through the point.....therefore are less likely to stall at low speeds.

sit down with a bit of paper, draw out the rails of a point, add +ve and -ve to opposite rails, and follow the pattern through the point....you'll see what I mean.

Peco points are 'self-locking' ie technically need no levers if manually operated...( they have an over-centre spring).
Not sure about Hornby's points.

However, a tortoise motor might need a linkage with a bit of complication (omega loop, anyone?).....but I think it will be a favorite method of control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx alastairg that was a most informative answear.

So when i buy these peco code 100 points, all i would have to do is add the insulated fish plate to the points and every thing would work fine with out any short circuits. I am i correct??.

Than a later stage i could add the tortoise motors when i have a enough money so to speak.

i am sorry if a sound a bit thick but i just want to get things right because i have got to spend a £180 on points alone. So everything has to be right because I am not made of money.

All the best

Miles

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
if you buy electrofrog peco points, then pretty much 'yes'...but DO follow the instructions in the box!.[especially the bit about Double Pole Double Throw switches.......which basically will allow a change of polarity at the frog if wanted.]
[DPDT}
oh, and you'll [obviously] need feeds to the tracks beyond the point?

peco insulfrog points MAY need feeds, may not...depends on what the tracks beyond the point are doing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts