Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new DCC sound " City of Sheffield" which is having problems negotiating my points. I have found by experimenting with the layout that its Ok on Hornby points ( front bogie goes across OK) but not on Bachmann points.

Strange? I am told they are EXACTLY the same points built in the same factory. If true then why does this happen?

Anyone help?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
If they are exactly the same points- have you checked all the clearances, gauge, etc that abound in points such as flangeways.?
Until that is done, then a defined answer is not possible. Does the loco stall & stop or derail?

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
They may well be executions of the same basic design, and even performed in the same factory, but there are always subtle differences between sets of tooling, (both for the plastic base moulding and rail forming) even if made by the same people or team. Very small differences in polymer quality, injection moulding set up and assembly process can introduce further variation during production too. Trust me on this one, years of industrial mass production quality assurance experience speaking.

For larger models in particular, with the finer wheel standards that are now normal, the simple fact is that set track pointwork is pretty much on the limit of what such models can negotiate reliably. Just as Sol posted, it only needs some small factor varying in gauging or flatness of the point, not visible to the unassisted eye; and of two identical looking points, one will perform reliably, the other will not. You can try measuring for differences, and experiment with corrections, for example one common suggestion is to put a thin shim on the inside faces of check rails to ensure the wheelsets are constrained better to follow the right road through the crossing. But that is only possible if all your stock has similar standard finer wheels. (That's the bind the manufacturers are in, their set track is expected to work with a large legacy of older product in owners hands, much of it on coarse wheels; and it also has to work with the more recent products.)

The real answer (if possible for you) is to move to a track system offering easier radii and finer clearances on points. The UK RTR stock manufacturers don't actually sell such products, so they don't advertise this ...

·
Registered
119 Posts
i think myself they are the same cause bachmann had never really dont track it was mainly peco & hornby so in theory they should be the same where does the loco derail ??

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have returned my Loco for checking and it was found to be 100% OK...the points however are a different story. Contrary to popular belief the Bachmann & Hornby points were found NOT to be the same but a difference of 1.5mm on the internal flanges! but the same to the eye in most other respects. ( slight difference in sleeper moulding and the wire is copper, not steel as in the Hornby...miniscule details that are easily missed

I have now changed the points out for all Hornby ( 13 of them!) and all is now running OK...Result.

You live and learn, and in my experience a good job I bought from a local dealer who could help me with great service ( Castle Trains in Warwick). Ta to them

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
all the above is why I chose to use one ''good'' brand....Peco ......quality [if not 'realism] is more consistant than could be achieved by Hornby or Bachmann..geometry of setrack is the same......I have a new hornby turnout and it is quite 'flimsy' compared to the Peco item....but I guess, once you've paid for all those points, a change is hard to swallow?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have found that locos with the Hornby flangless wheels on the trailing bogie (as now for City of Sheffield) can catch on Peco curved points but are OK on Hornby curved ppoints.
It appears that the bogie drops slightly below the rail height and then has to ride over the intermediate rail in the point. Perhaps the profile on the Hornby rail is more rounded and allows it to do this.
Hope this makes sense! I've used Hornby points ever since.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think the first Bachman UK track was produced by the original manufacturer in Austria from the Hornby moulds as the underside of the sleepers had Hornby numbers still on them!! R600 etc. The current Hornby ones are made in China.

Regards

David Y

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi
I would get ride of them and replace your track with peco , you will get better running over them .
As the Hornby and Bachmann track is well out of scale with very wide frogs that allow the wheels to ride up.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Dinwiddy @ 8 Feb 2009, 23:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think the first Bachman UK track was produced by the original manufacturer in Austria from the Hornby moulds as the underside of the sleepers had Hornby numbers still on them!! R600 etc.

And don't forget that at one time Hornby track was made by Roco

Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts