Model Railway Forum banner

Hornby W1 Hush Hush

9K views 48 replies 13 participants last post by  kristopher1805 
Hi Everyone I have just bought my first Hornby model for over 45 years. I liked the look of the model and as i travelled a lot on the LNER in the 60's behind Deltic's I thought I would treat myself to a British Brand for a Change.
Has anyone have this model yet. I do know they have had issues with the smoke Deflectors breaking in Transit and they are addressing them as I phoned my order they assure me things will be okay. Babs
Yes, I got this model from Hornby. I was one of the lucky ones, although they packed it pretty badly it arrived undamaged. It runs really nicely, but after watching Sam's video, I going to have to check mine again.

I wouldn't rely on Sam's videos if I was you. Some of his latest videos are really weird and going 'off the rails' !
You are likely to get far better results with your own evaluation of the model you have in hand!
You are right some of his latest videos are definitely "off the wall" but some of them are usually pretty right. A lot of the reviews he has done I have compared with the same loco I own and he usually right. On this one he definitely got a bad one it kept stalling and not going right. Fortunately mine doesn't do that. He is right about the front steps they fall off incredibly easily, mine did just that by putting it back into the "ice pack".

Once upon a time Hornby interior construction was very predictable, but no longer; so it is a matter of exploration with the body off the mechanism. I have yet to see anyone showing what the interior of their new W1 purchase looks like. You would hope that this relatively capacious body shell would present some usable internal volume...
I think it is based on the Merchant Navy/ Princess mechanism. If you look at Sam's video he has it in bits. I am not brave enough to take mine apart, perhaps one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.