Model Railway Forum banner

Hornby W1 Hush Hush

9K views 48 replies 13 participants last post by  kristopher1805 
I will have a BR later version with the Bugatti streamlining which father rode on once from Peterborough to Doncaster, said not as fast as an A4 streak but certainly could pull a heavy load and do so rather quickly, so I look forward to these being available. (along with the similar P2.)

OK so as per the Hornby boss Simon Kohler in his launch of P2 the background picture shows a later version which was built with Bugatti streamlining as by then Gresley had become very friendly with Etore Bugatti, so if this was not intended for P2 then why have this as a background blow up? so yes a ficticious late BR P2 Bugatti would do for me along with the late BR W1 an excellent pair of locos but really more than 1 - I think not1

well being Hornby it will doubtlessly be fitted with an 8 pin in which case mine when I get around to having one on shed will get a DCCC 8 pin nano as these are guaranteed to fit anything pretty much, are widely available, have a good warranty and works well with Z21, who knows maybe Hornby will come out with a 17 pin new socket - more sales as a result.

I watched the Sam's trains video and this is a bit worrisome, clearly some associated quality issues which for something so expensive is not acceptable, hope Hornby fix this asap because this could start the snowball on failing quality, thinking more about it I might still be tempted and renumber 10000 as 60000 it might work that way as a neverwasser but I want to hear some good reports coming out.

Yep see my thread elsewhere but I got mine for £217 plus pennies. which is a bit more realistic I think it is an A4 plus a bit so it should be nearer to £190 in my view but it is too new to expect anything less than £199 and even that would be a rare find, the Yarrow boiler earlier version has less curb appeal so being radically different from everything else in the looks department, anyway it runs well but as the 203rd loco on my ipad it has clogged up the sytem and I have to clear off 10 or so locos to get the system to work again.

Anyway with the Z21 fixed I got down to running some trains and principle amongst these was the W1 and this then set the pace, at a scale speed of about 70 miles/hour it ran circuits for over an hour without fault, maybe the nicest out of the box performance I ever had, cannot say the same about the coach couplings but the loco was truly excellent, the A2/2 worked the opposite main line and this too was running very well, so it looks like a good 'un

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.