Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this.
I have a Hornby west country rebuilt light pacific that keeps derailing on my code 75 double slip.

When I run her forward the front bogie jump off the point, but when I run her backwards she is ok.
Also some time she gets stuck when I run her at slow speed through the point, she runs fine across all the other point I have on the lay out!
Why is she doing this?
Darren

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Sorry I can't help except to say that I have a similar loco and have no problems with it on the Peco 75 double slip, now the unrebuilt BoB is a different story!

·
In depth idiot
7,716 Posts
Darren,

Current Hornby model or older Triang-Hornby type? Big difference in the way to solve this problem depending on type.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. It's caused by the driving wheels being out of gauge (too close) and is something that has been documented before. I seem to remember a Hornby review saying they were set at 13.5mm instead of 14.5mm. I got a back-to-back gauge and managed to correct this though you do need to be careful not to get the wheels out of alignment.

The problem I found is that the slip's point blades are closer to the stock rail than on other points. No problem if the wheels are gauged correctly, but with the WC I ran it through the slip slowly and observed that the driving wheel flange was striking the open blade and lifting up. Once the wheels were set correctly the loco ran fine - and I now have 5 double slips on the layout which it has no problem with.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Hello.
Check the back to back measurements of the bogie wheels also make sure that there is nothing stoping the bogie from pivoting properly.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 23 Jan 2009, 08:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Current Hornby model or older Triang-Hornby type? Big difference in the way to solve this problem depending on type.

Surely T-H never did a rebuilt BB/WC?

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts