Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (71B @ 27 Dec 2006, 16:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the test bench at the moment, Plymouth - running under Hornby DCC - silent, superb slow speed control. Top marks!

Hi,

I had the same thing with the Brit (q.v.) but Hornby in their wisdom perpetrated the fixed trailing bogie. Posted elsewhere, I have said I won't have a rebuilt WC/BoB until I have had the offending article successfully modded by a wizard at the black art of loco modelling, then I will buy a rebuilt WC; however, since all this transpired, I read that the later Britannia's have a working trailing bogie. I have wanted a rebuilt for years, and, when I suggested same to Simon Kohler at Warley shortly after the new MN arrived, I had hoped that it would be done in much the same way as the MN. Now I am hoping that the rebuilt WC will have a working trailing bogie in a short while.

The rebuilt WC/BoB as presented is a great static display, but is a toy when put on the track. My track is 24" radius, code 100, Peco express, medium and double slip pointwork. The Brit when placed on that looked unbelievably weird in reverse, for shunting or stabling purposes.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The majority of rebuilt WCs and BoBs were due into the UK 22/01 so they ought to be in circulation by now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
QUOTE (Hugh Williams @ 3 Feb 2007, 21:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

I had the same thing with the Brit (q.v.) but Hornby in their wisdom perpetrated the fixed trailing bogie. Posted elsewhere, I have said I won't have a rebuilt WC/BoB until I have had the offending article successfully modded by a wizard at the black art of loco modelling, then I will buy a rebuilt WC; however, since all this transpired, I read that the later Britannia's have a working trailing bogie.

I've got an early Brit (no flanged pony truck wheel supplied) and a later one with flanged wheel supplied. The truck is still fixed and looks ridiculous when the loco goes around anything but the gentlest of curves. Oh, and the flanged wheel supplied with "Firth of Tay" didn't actually fit - the axle diameter was too big for the slot in the chassis!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well I came across Utterly Butterly or whatever it is yesterday so the third one can't be far behind I suppose.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Check out my modification to "Firth of Tay" in the "On the Bench" thread.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (dwilson9 @ 6 Feb 2007, 06:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got an early Brit (no flanged pony truck wheel supplied) and a later one with flanged wheel supplied. The truck is still fixed and looks ridiculous when the loco goes around anything but the gentlest of curves. Oh, and the flanged wheel supplied with "Firth of Tay" didn't actually fit - the axle diameter was too big for the slot in the chassis!!

·
Registered
8 Posts

HORNBY W.C.34003 PLYMOUTH.

I recently took delivery of 34003 and what great model it is,I had a Lenz silver decoded fitted and it operates very well with my ZTC system.

I have a couple of negative points to make the first is that the tender weathering was added with the wheels in-situ and therefore they are only part weathered and you get a chequered effect when running,the second point is that the fixed flangeless wheels on the pony truck cause arching between the the open switch rail and the stock rail at points,do think Hornby would consider supplying a set of plastic flangeless wheels with the model in future production runs of the W.Cs.& B.O.Bs.

Perhaps Bachmann could use the flangeless wheel principle on one pair of bogie wheels on their forthcoming
4 CEP unit driving motor coaches to create the arching at points and crossings so typical of these units in service.

Yeovil

·
Registered
763 Posts
The weathering issue seems to affect quite a few models. Just one query regards the weathering, does it stop about roof height leaving a nice clean boiler top and roof as with previous hornby "weathering"

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Y'all,

I posted some comments on the Hornby Pacifics with the fixed (almost Cartazzi) trailing bogies, i.e. the Britannia and the rebuilt W.C./BoB's. I have had the William Wordsworth, 70030, modified by the shop I bought it from (Allison's of Worksop); it has come back without loss of performance and loss of appearance. My next step will be to buy a W.C/BoB and have it modified in a similar way. I post a link to the photos, which were taken by a HP Photosmart M415 digital camera, but under rather poor lighting conditions. The bogie swings well and travels well, even in reverse. It contains a small subframe for containing the wheel-set, the only modification to the set-up is the current is picked up from the tender.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/huw_hw

The photos are found contained within the Album called intriguingly 'Railway Matters', as there is evidence of my other interests - Warships and matters Naval.

Regards,

Hugh Williams

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (edzmen @ 28 Dec 2006, 17:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats good to hear!

Im holding out for Sir Keith Park - does anyone know when it might be released?

I received my "Sir Keith Park" here in Spain on 17 Feb from Southampton Model Centre.

Although it's only on display - at eye level - the flangeless pony wheel isn't very noticeable unless you look for it and I would have thought that at normal viewing distances and angles that it wouldn't be a problem - but I'll find out when my layout gets started.
I am now awaiting "Excalibur" with bated breath.
Brgds Tony

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with the last comment that if your just looking from above the locomtive and a normal side view you dont really notice that the pony truck is fixed or that they are non flangless wheels. At the end of the day it just i hobbey, not everything has to be perfect or can be perfect ,we all want extra detail on the locomotive so you have to make compromises in other areas to.

We should not be critsing hornby for this because in my eye it a great idea, you get a beter looking locomotive and a lot more pony truck detail.

We can all rember hornby last A4 pacfic effort with the gap underneath the ponytruck and the poor detailing on it, i ask you how DAFT did that look.

Smiley

·
Administrator
9,852 Posts
>We can all rember hornby last A4 pacfic effort with the gap underneath the ponytruck and the poor detailing on it, i ask you how DAFT did that look.

I still have one of those. That gap does not upset me nearly so much as the mis-shaped front end. Of course I didn't know any better when I bought it way back in 1979.

David

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (smiley @ 17 May 2007, 18:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree with the last comment that if your just looking from above the locomtive and a normal side view you dont really notice that the pony truck is fixed or that they are non flangless wheels. At the end of the day it just i hobbey, not everything has to be perfect or can be perfect ,we all want extra detail on the locomotive so you have to make compromises in other areas to.

We should not be critsing hornby for this because in my eye it a great idea, you get a beter looking locomotive and a lot more pony truck detail.

We can all rember hornby last A4 pacfic effort with the gap underneath the ponytruck and the poor detailing on it, i ask you how DAFT did that look.

Smiley

Yes re the A4, so daft I never bought one, but I bought a Bachmann A4. However, I wasn't really impressed with that, and it gave way to the A1. However, returning to the trailing bogie, what put me on my soap box was the fact that the wheel as well as the chassis left the track upon reversing on a medium peco point. Therefore, I asked the model shop to find me a solution, as I didn't have the tools, etc. The point that I feel that I have demonstrated is that there was no need to have this fixed trailing bogie, particularly when the real thing didn't. The modified loco has a working trailing bogie which keeps the wheels on the track (admittedly the body work goes out of gauge, but that has to be accepted as I don't have enough room for 48" radius track and I have to work with 24 - 30" radius and the medium/express type peco points)I do accept that compromises have to be accepted, but for a simple design feature such as this I think Hornby threw out the baby with the bath water. It won't stop me buying their products or having a view either. The unquestionable brand loyalty I have come across makes me wonder - surely it must be in the interests of anybody interested in this Hobby by raising doubts and making suggestions for future products where felt necessary. If criticising Hornby is thought to be a bad thing, then why make reference to the A4, as this is illogical, is it not. Personally I am looking forward to the Scots and the Maunsells and the point motor accessories, not to mention some changes in future releases of the Class 31's (I hope).

Yes, it is still a hobby and a useful release after a day with computer systems (still on one doing this stuff
)

'Nuff said, will wait till I have done the same on the WC/BoB and show that it can be done again!

Happy modelling

1 - 15 of 15 Posts