Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows where to source a suitable tool to take off the wheel nuts on the Merchant Navy. I need to take one off only in order to take off the speedo cable that is attached from the body to the coupling rods. It is to put in a DCC chip.

I am living in Cork and cannot find a suitable tool small enough to do it. I don't want to use a pliers as the will damage the nut.

I have searched the net but have not come up with anything.

Any help is appreciated

tks

George
Cork
Ireland

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think the live steam toolkit may be of use to you.

Regards

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi george
i got the correct tool from my local hornby dealer free of charge
suggest you ask whoever sold you the loco
if not give hornby a ring
richard

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm in the same situation with a Duchess. Pity Hornby haven't picked up on this themselves and offered it for sale separately.

Darren

·
Registered
18 Posts
sent e mail to hornby asking where i could by one , they e mailed me back the same day stating that they would put one in the post.
The next morning it arrived by royal mail at no charge to my self great sevice.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (hildo @ 12 Feb 2007, 17:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sent e mail to hornby asking where i could by one , they e mailed me back the same day stating that they would put one in the post.
The next morning it arrived by royal mail at no charge to my self great sevice.

Excellent service - Well doe=e Hornby!!

Regards

John

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a slightly more agricultural approach to this. I use a 4mm grub screw thats about 50mm long, it has a 2.5mm hex (allen key) recess in the top, just perfect for Hornby crank pins, available at engineering supply shops by the bucket load. cheap too, you'll probably find they'll be about 3p each if the NZ price is anything to go by.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
461 Posts
The items shown in Doug picture are the set for the Live Steam Engines they do fit on the regular models this may help you to get?
they aren't listed as a separate item on the hornby web site.

Pete

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I confirm that the tools shown in Doug's picture are from the Live Steam set. The one on the left is the small nut/bolt key and fits many of the ordinary models as well as parts on the live steam locos.

For those not initiated into live steam, the large syringe is for filling the boiler with water and the small one for adding steam oil to the locomotive - the needles are blunt ones to avoid injury/misuse.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why didn't i think of using a Grub Screw when i took the body of my Merchant Navy loco would of been better than what i did use,atleast i know what to use next time i need to take the body off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Folks,

Many thanks for all the replies, I actually made a tool for it and now have the body off - It is just the chip is too big now for the bolier but I shouuld be able to squeeze it in somewhere.

All the best

George

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
George, just curious but what decoder did you plan to install? I used a Lenz gold and it fits okay.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Guest @ 13 Feb 2007, 14:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Folks,

Many thanks for all the replies, I actually made a tool for it and now have the body off - It is just the chip is too big now for the bolier but I shouuld be able to squeeze it in somewhere.

All the best

George

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Ozzie,

I installed a Bachmann EZ decoder which suits what I need really, We are operating with the EZ command and I am using the Hornby select, Nothing to fancy at the moment as the Z-tec etc are a bit out of the price range at the moment. I know there are smaller ones available but the choice in Ireland is fairly limited if you want to install one straight away.

The loco is actually my Fathers and he has crossed to digital as I have only recently and he told me he could not get the chip into the boiler, In the end I called to him and there was ample space for this decoder, His fingers were not up to the Job not that mine were any better.

The Bachmann ones are a bit bulky, I bought him a Lord of the Isles Set and this decoder most definately won't fit into that boiler so a smaller one will be the trick here, Probably a TCS one.

cheers

George

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Regarding Hornby Wheel Nuts, I bought a 12BA nut spinner from Squires Model and Craft Tools in Bognor Regis. It works fine. Check their free catalogue out it is brilliant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts