Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Hornby "Winston Churchill" BoB loco yesterday, Hornby part number R2385. I didn't realise it was one of the NRM collection locos untill I opened the parcel back up. Does anyone know when Hornby produced this model as I couldn't find it in the current website or catalogue.
Thanks.
Ozzie 21

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
It was introduced in the 50th Edition Catalogue (2004) and is on page 49.

For further information try http://www.mremag.demon.co.uk
This is Pat Hammond's website for his daily magazine of model railway news. He's the one who has written three large volumes so far on the history of Rovex/Triang/Hornby. I'm sure if you contact him via this site he'll be able to to tell you more about this loco.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Surely the best people to contact on recent Hornby models are Hornby?

Pat's 3 volumes on Rovex Triang Hornby Railways take us up to 1996 and he is working on Volume 4 which takes us up to the present day. Not too sure that we should suggest that folk contact Pat Hammond as he is a busy bloke and he does state on his website that he will not enter into personal correspondence. What he might do is publish an email that requests information and see how his readers respond and publish their replies. Why I say this is that I don't want MRF visitors and members to start emailing Pat Hammond en masse as he might get a bit upset and then I get a bit of flack when our paths cross!

Pat Hammond is attending an exhibition this weekend in Oxford and will have examples of his collection on display.

Generally Hornby R numbers are sequential so that will normally provide clues as to the age of the locomotive. If you are a real collector and want to know the history of everything you buy then I would highly recommend picking up a copy of Ramsey's British Model Trains 4th Edition. It is compiled by Pat Hammond and Winston Churchill does get a mention and John has provided correct information. Pat is currently compiling the 5th Edition which should be out towards the end of 2007.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
Found it in their past products section.
http://www.hornby.com/pages/prod_pst_disp....ill&category1=2
If you want to look. They have done 3 or 4 of the NRM loco's a black5 LMS number 5000, The dissected Merchant Navy (Ellerman Lines i think) and of course the Flying Scotsman. Now bachmann have cottoned on and their catalogue shows Evening star as a Heritage range or some such.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Thanks, Gary, for making your points. I've found Pat and MRE Mag most helpful and certainly don't wish to cause any waves.

I got my copy of the 2006 Bachmann catalogue last week and can confirm that their 'Evening Star' is labelled as 'Heritage Range'. Also 'Lord Nelson', 'Mallard' and 'Green Arrow', which are all National Collection. They also mention that two of their Ivatt class 2MT are preserved, as is one of their 'Jintys', 4MT BR standard tank and tender locos.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
The earliest catalogue I have - 11th edition lists "Winston Churchill" as R356S. It has Magnahesion and smoke. The tender is R38.

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
If you want to pick up one of those early Winston Churchills with smoke in mint condition in the original packaging it will cost you in excess of £100. Not bad for a £3 loco at that time! Forget Ebay for the really collectable stuff. Collectors of quality won't take the chance and want to inspect the goods before parting with money. This is where proper auctions come in.

Winston Churchill was still with us at the time of the launch of the first model. The funeral train has been modelled.

He was voted the greatest Britain of all time in a BBC poll and deservedly so. Brunel was number two and no doubt a lot of GWR fans were responsible for that result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/greatbritons.shtml

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary, I heartly agree with you and I do consider him to be the best that Britian stood for. I was eight yrs old when he past away and I can remember how sad everyone was but I never quite understood till much later. As for the loco wel;l I think I'll stick with the modern rendition and not the much older one. I have an original Triang Princess that I was given one birthday. It was a CKD model and when I look at that and compare it to a new one, well I know which one a prefer and it reminds of a much simpler time, no computers, mobile phones, x boxes and cars with sound systems that would drown out an orchestra. I think I'm getting old

Ozzie 21

QUOTE (Gary @ 25 Mar 2006, 08:52)If you want to pick up one of those early Winston Churchills with smoke in mint condition in the original packaging it will cost you in excess of £100. Not bad for a £3 loco at that time! Forget Ebay for the really collectable stuff. Collectors of quality won't take the chance and want to inspect the goods before parting with money. This is where proper auctions come in.

Winston Churchill was still with us at the time of the launch of the first model. The funeral train has been modelled.

He was voted the greatest Britain of all time in a BBC poll and deservedly so. Brunel was number two and no doubt a lot of GWR fans were responsible for that result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/greatbritons.shtml

Happy modelling
Gary
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts