Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone on the Hornby forum who has the Royal Train Set asked when they could see the real thing. I replied that it was probably a state secret. Strangely, both his question and my reply have both disappeared.

·
Registered
436 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 8 Jan 2008, 02:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Strangely, both his question and my reply have both disappeared.

Good!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Ozwarrior said "Good!:

Can you explain that please ?

Why would you think it was good that if someone asked a question & a possibly funny answer was offered, that both the question & reply disappear? Anyone who panicked over that needs to see someone.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is true that the royal families movements are kept secret. I thought that the amusing part was that Hornby appear to think that the fact that the movements are kept secret is a secret.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
No doubt the Royal family movements maybe kept secret but surely not the Train especially if they are not in it!

It is just like Govenments ,which are really servants of the people, keeping things locked away because they think the people do not have the right to know but that said, some things are best kept secret.

The media of course has a different outlook, they believe the people should know every gritty details about the latest screen heart-throb & the goings on whether we are interested or not!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But this wasn't the government, it was the Hornby mods. Some posters on the Hornby site won't even say how good the customer service is because of some confidentiality nonsense on the bottom of Hornby emails.
I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth posting on the Hornby site now.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
You could inform him that the royal train is kept at wolverton (there has been some form of royal train there since at least 1903 to my knowlage. the 1904 saloons are simply stunning and can be seen at the NRM)

As far as seeing it out in the open, royal train movements are usually a closely guarded secret. there are however things you can do to increase your chances.
Majesty magazine publishes a list of public royal engagements.
If there is a large public occasion such as a big funeral and they have many VIP's to shift they will often use the royal train (as they did at Diana's funeral). hanging around windsor station is aparently also quite fruitfull although is extremly tedious at all other times.

I have seen the train once. and one of the 67's was stood at the siding at the top of kings cross caked in sandite last time i saw it about a year ago.

If you dont mind it not being current then a visit to the NRM is well owrth it as there are examnples of almost evry generation of royal train apart from the Mk3's.

Peter

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hi , When I was just a kid ( about the time Noah was wearing short pants!) our gang used to watch the trains on the West Coast Main Line. When the Royal Train was due to pass the local Special Constable positioned himself so as to "guard" the minor road under- bridge in our village.When our gang gathered there on our bikes he( the SC) would ask us what we were doing. " waiting for the Royal Train " we said." how do you lot know its coming ?"Because you're here ", we would say. "Well behave yourselves then". When it arrived we all waved as it passed while the SC stood to attention.
At this time I had two uncles who worked at the Wolverton Carrage and Wagon works . Two of them used to ride on the train from time to time as a precaution in case any repairs had to be done ,(one was a carpenter the other one a painter) , apparently the train carried one each of all the tradesmen involved in the maintenance and preparation of it! The painter uncle wrote to say the he would be on the train on its journey North , he said he would look out for me but obviously he could not wave from an open window but told me which coach to look out for and he would wave from the vestibule. The train duly came , we all waved as usual but this time someone waved back to us . The poor old Special was dumbfounded. "Did you see that", "What" we asked. 'Somebody waved" he said , "Must have been the King'!"I replied.
Because of my uncles working at Wolverton I got the chance to visit the works and was given a grand tour- even a footplate ride on one the works locos( an ancient( 1860s) ex LNWR Webb designed "Special" 0-6-0ST ) I got a close -up look of the Royal Train but no way could I board it. Not even on a Sunday-, I was allowed to climb the steps on one carriage and peer into the vestibule and that was all. This was of course in the days of the LMS and it was in the all maroon livery. I think the it had been kept in its beautiful LNWR livery up until the 2nd world war when it was repainted so that it looked the same as the other stock.
I hope I havenot bored you with my anecdotes.
Happy modelling in 2008.
Tony Overton

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
No Tony, not bored, it was interesting.
The good old days eh?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hello Tony

no not boring at all. i never tire from hearing the stories.
Just a small note. the train was in LNWR livery untill the second world war. the principle saloons were wodden and were definatly not bullet proof. the LMS decided to replace them with 2 new saloons. they were the heaviest carriages ever made in britain and origionally had armour plating over all the windows and looked far more modern. when these coaches were first introduced the livery changed to LMS maroon. these carriages later carried the Royal claret you see now. one is in claret at the NRM and the other is in LMS maroon somewhere (i cant remember where but i think it might also be on display with the shutters).

I can see the scene these days. the police officer in the bright yellow high viz coat, chewing gum, and as for standing to atention!.......

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 8 Jan 2008, 12:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can see the scene these days. the police officer in the bright yellow high viz coat, chewing gum, and as for standing to atention!.......

More likely a couple of firearms officers with a high powered patrol car to hand.

It is, however always nice to hear the old tales - if not recorded now they are lost forever.

Regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts