Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
We´ll have to see how this model turns out - there may be some metal fetishists in Germany, but their drug is usually spelled "Märklin" only. I hope Hornby gets its quality right; low quality is a rather big issue in the German forums right now, with Roco, Märklin and Trix being accused of shifting production to Eastern Europe and China along with eliminating quality control. 245 USD equals like 200 Euro, or 400 German Marks. The Roco engines were sold for around 90 Euro last time I saw them (Badonian version). That might give Hornby a tough time. Let´s just hkeep our fingers crossed that the class 58 will be a success for Hornby.

If it is good, I hope that Hornby releases an early Prussian or Saxonian (or Badonia, Wurttembergian) version, with all the correct changes. I´d buy one of those Ep I engines, thank you Hornby!

EDIT: However, please also keep in mind that this engine has to compete with the likes of Fleischmann´s classes 95 and 56, pricewise, and Brawa´s 56 quality-wise (albeit that one is a lot more expensive, it looks rather close in its appearance). Gützold will realease a reconstructed East German class 58 as well, and from my experience, Gützold engines are really good.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 25 Jan 2008, 23:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So they are complaining about the loco tender gap and a lack of directional lighting.

Well, we've heard about the gap problem, Hornby locos are designed for tight radius curves. Lights on a steam loco are new and to expect directional buffer lamps is quite a lot.

Doug,

continental steam engines usually have a close coupling cinematic between engine and tender to allow it to negotiate tight curves. Lights on steam locos are not at all new on continental engines (maybe because the prototypes were all equipped with headlights, unlike afaik UK outline steam engines), and directional lighting is nothing special over here on steam engines. The latest fad are DCC controlled, seperately controlled front and rear lights in white/red/no light. Hope they didn´t use yellow LEDs.

Nonetheless, it appears to be a neat model. The prominent gap may make it a no-go for me, but I´d want to see the model in person first. Maybe it´s not so bad after all.

EDIT: Baykal, 5-pole motor, 21 pin DCC interface. Makes the directional light issue even less understandable, should it turn out to be true. btw, could it be that the class 58 has a special place in any Turkish railroad enthusiast´s heart...?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
From the pictures I´ve seen so far, I can´t make out the lamented "huge gap" between loco and tender. Seems to me that some of the depicted engines might be missing a few add-on parts on the driver´s cabin, which makes the gap appear wider than it really is.

Directional lighting, hmmm. If the Chinese engineers are worth their bowl of rice (which I am sure they are), then this feature will be added when a DCC decoder is installed - if it really is missing.

A slight turn-off for me are the shiny silver wheel rims. A little burnishing wouldn´t have been that expensive... If I actually choose to buy the Hornby 58 (chances are I will, as it will complement my Fleischmann class 95), then it will be the only engine with "old-fashioned" wheels save for my BBÖ class 310, where the effect was intended.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 26 Jan 2008, 17:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The price in the USA abt 245 usd analog, 285 usd AC model

e-bay : abt 200 euro.
Baykal

I got a printed flyer at my lhs today; apparently, both AC and DC version are listed with an rrp of 259,-- Euro.

Here´s the picture from Hornby Germany´s website:

Baykal, I´d be very interested in the Turkish pics. Do you think a class 58 model like the Hornby one could be converted into a TCDD engine?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
By now, I am very actively considering to add this model to my collection.

I may have to sell another engine on eBay or elsewhere, but which one - my HAG Re 6/6 in green livery is my current first choice.

Nonetheless, this Prussian bugger and my class 95 would make a great team.

btw, the Rivarossi/Lima/Jouef new items flyers are online in German forums. Like here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts