Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought two of Hornby's DCC ready 08s. must admit they are great locos to run, but after a short time they both start shrieking very loud. I have oiled all of the moving parts on both locos, but still not solved the problem.
Has anybody else had this with the 08s. and any suggestions on how to cure it?
I've had layouts and several hundred locos since 1956, with plenty of problems to solve, but this one has beat me!

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
QUOTE (springfield @ 15 Apr 2008, 17:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have recently bought two of Hornby's DCC ready 08s. must admit they are great locos to run, but after a short time they both start shrieking very loud.
Screams like a little girl, easily the loudest sound you have ever heard from an OO loco! This has been quite a widely reported problem, usually caused by tight bearings on the shaft which carries the flywheel and worm. The bearings are little brass cubes, and one of them got hot enough on mine to raise a blister on my finger. You could take it all apart and ease these bearings; being a lazy type I did it in situ by feeding a little Brasso metal polish into these bearings to slacken them a little, and subsequently flushing them with light oil to remove the abrasive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I shouldn't worry about it too much. I have a class 08 myself that's DCC ready and it does make a squeaky noise which I think is normal for this type of model. They do look good and run superbly. If it does start to jerk a bit or the noise gets worse then you best take it to your nearest model shop and see what they say. Better yet get in touch with Hornby via their website and ask them what you should do. They're quick for responding to any questions an problems, believe me!

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds to me is a problem of brushes.
If I am right, they are using Ringfield type motors and the noise as you
described does like ones I fixed before.
One or both brushes constantly hit(s) the slots in the motor commutator.
My solution was simply to swap the two brushes.
I have met three similar problems and sorted out all three by swapping
the pair of brushes. It does no harm at all to try it in a ringfield type motor.
But if it is not a ringfield type motor, you may have to file down the meat of
the brushes a bit to sort it.

You also need to do a good clean of the slots in the motor commutator carefully with a sharp toothpick
(they'll be full of carbon from the brushes if the noise was truly caused by brushes).

Clean the commutators copper face as well as you can with a cotton bud soaked in
thinners or alcohol. Be careful if you use thinners as plastics don't like them.

If you have some some super fine wet and dry it can be used to polish the face of
the commutator until it shines like a mirror. Use 1200grit or better glued to an ice
lolly stich for this, and be gentle and "even" in pressure. Polishing the armature
face evenly will improve the efficiency of the motor a lot.

Before you swap the brushes or after file them, it is also worth giving them a good clean - soak in meths for a
while and then give them a good clean with detergent - let dry totally (overnight in
a warm place).

Please kindly let me know if this solve the problem. I will be very glad to hear a good news.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The trick is to remove the square bearing blocks and worm drive section and soak in motor oil for 24 hours,
Cures the squeak once and for all. My Class 09 suffered the same problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (springfield @ 15 Apr 2008, 16:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have recently bought two of Hornby's DCC ready 08s. must admit they are great locos to run, but after a short time they both start shrieking very loud. I have oiled all of the moving parts on both locos, but still not solved the problem.
Has anybody else had this with the 08s. and any suggestions on how to cure it?
I've had layouts and several hundred locos since 1956, with plenty of problems to solve, but this one has beat me!

I have actually now solved this problem without stripping the locos down very far.
My local model shop suggested ULTRA-LITE HL 661 premium Hob-E-Lube (with state of the art lubricant additives)
It really does the job!

·
Registered
763 Posts
The daft thing is when I emailed hornby originally after buying the blue one and it squeaking they sent a message back telling me to ring their service department due to the model being difficult to strip down, I never bothered and never stripped it down to sort out. Now two or more years later when I've had to strip another version down (eventually traced non running fault to a broken wire) I find they're an absolute doddle to strip down to lubricate the gearbox and I can't see what the fuss was all about. I fail to see why they have to use wire the thickness of spiders legs on their diesels though it's just asking for trouble in my opinion.

If anone wants a bit more of a challenge try stripping the latest Bachy 37 down to its motor to stop the driveshaft inserts in the flywheels from slipping!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts