Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
London, UK - Jun 26, 2006 (PRN): Hornby Plc has awarded an exclusive 3-year contract to the OTHER media to redesign the group's websites and e-commerce stores for the 'Hornby Railways' and 'Scalextric' brands.

The London based web design and e-commerce consultancy agency will provide the brands with a streamlined and efficient shopping experience. The objectives of the redesign are to dramatically increase web traffic and on-line sales.

Hornby has been the UK's leader in model railways for over 50 years. Scalextric has operated under the Hornby Group since it's acquisition in 1970 and continues to offer an unrivalled selection of the world's slot-car racing products.

Nick Cole, Operations Director/General Manager of Hornby Hobbies said, "We were very impressed with the OTHER media's approach to our specific requirements, and we are confident that they will deliver the redesign in the agreed timescales."

Hornby selected the OTHER media based on their recent string of successful e-commerce strategies for charity, museum and retail clients including Paul Smith, Myla, Zoological Society of London, England and Wales Cricket Board and the Natural History Museum.

The OTHER media is responsible for designing, building and running the web sites and web businesses of some of Europe's most well known companies and organisations. The London-based agency also advises on eCommerce and business strategy, usability, design and technology issues for their clients including Virgin, Delia Online (http://www.deliaonline.com), Paul Smith (http://www.paulsmith.co.uk), and WWF UK(http://www.wwflearning.co.uk), to name a few. Please visit http://www.othermedia.com for a full client listing and further information.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE The London based web design and e-commerce consultancy agency will provide the brands with a streamlined and efficient shopping experience. The objectives of the redesign are to dramatically increase web traffic and on-line sales.

Unfortunately for Hornby it doesn't really matter how good your website is, if your prices are silly people wont buy and Hornbys website prices are full price.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
At the end of the day the manufacturer (in this case Hornby) has to sell direct at full recommended retail to be fair to the dealers & retailers who have supported them over the years ! If they started to discount direct to the public they would soon loose their retail support.

The same goes for other companies who manufacturer/distribute products.

Maybe the idea of direct sales is more of a service to customers - after all, if you want the item badly enough you will probably pay full retail anyway.

Lets have a bit more support for the retail trade please - the mark ups are narrow enough as it is for the retailer.

While we are on the subject of "cutting out the middle men" how many of you out there could be "cut out".
We could buy our petrol/diesel direct from the oil refineries, our food from the farmer, teach our own children, cut down our own trees to make our own furniture, do away with solicitors & estate agents - the list is endless.

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
436 Posts
Maybe it's mainly for people in remote places.....like Mongolia.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 27 Jun 2006, 00:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>or Australia

I have to admit I never used mail order or the internet as much till I came here.

It really is mandatory nowadays to have a good website if you are selling any product. How many times do you persist with a crappy one? The Hornby one is too slow. When you want to find something specific you have to trawl through pages and pages as their search function is pretty hopeless.

QUOTE Lets have a bit more support for the retail trade please - the mark ups are narrow enough as it is for the retailer.

This hobby is pretty expensive as it is and I am not in the habit of giving money away. I will always seek out the best price before buying.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
mabye they will have the odd silly priced good deal like we see from bachmann now and then.
i am not overly impressed with the other sites but change to both hornby's site and bachmanns can only be a good thing. Bachmann's has about as much imagination as a caravan site in Bromsgrove.and they are already paying someone to do it for them!

i actually thought hornby had hired some web wiz kid from electronic arts about 18 months ago to take care of all this for them??

Peter

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
When I was looking into live steam I found the Hornby site quite informative with its presentation on the live steam. Admit though I haven't purchased anything from them though. I don't think we can from here in Australia it says to contact local stockist.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 27 Jun 2006, 14:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When I was looking into live steam I found the Hornby site quite informative with its presentation on the live steam. Admit though I haven't purchased anything from them though. I don't think we can from here in Australia it says to contact local stockist.

For some reason it says they don't sell to Aus or NZ. I beleive they recently added the States and Canada to that too. They're probably doing us a favour though as you'll get it a hundred quid cheaper from Hattons or Rails.

·
844 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 27 Jun 2006, 13:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For some reason it says they don't sell to Aus or NZ. I beleive they recently added the States and Canada to that too. They're probably doing us a favour though as you'll get it a hundred quid cheaper from Hattons or Rails.

What does the freight cost though?

·
844 Posts
Yeah. I looked at a new in box live steamer on eBay last year I think and the best price for postage was 26 pounds from memory which I am sure would be surface mail.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
It's always best to confirm whether it is surface mail or not as there is a major difference in delivery time. I'm not sure how heavy the item is to guess if it was surface or not. But if the item is selling for say 400 quid then about seventy would come off that in vat which should cover airmail. I paid 100 quid for four day delivery of a model boat kit from the UK which weighed 11 kg as a bit of a guide.

·
844 Posts
I have purchaed military antiques items from swords, uniforms, helmets, campaign furniture you name it all from the UK before and been usually pleased with the delivery costs except perhaps for piles of old railway modeller magazines which were actually quite expensive due to their mass. The sword was the interesting one needing to be internationally couried as Royal Mail didn't want a bar of it!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE I would think that a manufacturer could only sell at full price or they wouldn't be suggested retail prices.

Dapol sell products on their website that have not passed their rigourous quality assurance tests.

Hornby could do the same. They would be snapped up by scratchbuilders and those looking for spares.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 20 of 36 Posts