Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE I would think that a manufacturer could only sell at full price or they wouldn't be suggested retail prices.

Dapol sell products on their website that have not passed their rigourous quality assurance tests.

Hornby could do the same. They would be snapped up by scratchbuilders and those looking for spares.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
A Hornby forum will have to be heavily moderated and all posts will have to be cleared before publication.

Hornby have a large junior following and they would not wish to publish or be assciated with anything that may harm their family image.

This is totally understandable when you consider what can happen in public forums where people push the "add reply" button without thinking of the consequences!

One other thing.

You are unlikely to be anonymous to Hornby on a Hornby forum. Hornby may well insist on a name and address over and above a simple email and password type situation when you sign up which they may check out before adding your name to the forum member list. Again this is reasonable under the circumstances.

There are modellers who are very happy to give their personal details to a manufacturer in return for having a direct voice. And these same modellers may be totally unhappy at participating in an "unauthorised" forum where they are unsure who is behind it.

So I guess that a Hornby forum will have a totally different type of membership to a forum such as Model Rail Forum.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Just in case my previous post was missintepreted I'll just add that a manufacturers forum may well fall inside the comfort zone of a lot of people who are less comfortable elsewhere.

I think Pat Hammond suceeds at MREmag because he is an established and trusted industry man and his way of doing things is seen as the industry way. It has to be said though that he could do with seriously upgrading his website even so! Its such a pity that so much good info gets lost in its archives.

Has any of this actually answered Dougs original list of questions?

Probably not!

How would it be for you Doug if your moderating team had to check every message prior to publication?

Thats basically what the industry would prefer. And it would be a good training excercise for forum members.

However, it has to be said that the membership of MRF are a pretty sound bunch and are reasonably well behaved!

So not much need to apply the ball and shackles just yet I suspect!

In fact looking at the "Hornby chat" on the existing Hornby set up there are a few things said there that I find surprising!

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.