Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new B2 today. I like the all-wheel pickup and the generally good slow speed. I don’t like the quick start/stop. A loco made these days should be better. My Peckett 0-4-0 is much better, for example. Anyone have similar problem, or did I just get a lemon?

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
What's your control system like in providing very low output? I have seen this problem with several purchases, since increasingly efficient can motors found their way into OO coming up 25 years past. Sometimes you get a motor that is almost optimally efficient and starts on a breath of current, and the model jerks in and out of motion. The fix I have used in time past is to install pairs of diodes head to tail in motor leads , to add impedance to the motor circuit, until a smooth creep in and out of motion is possible.

Fortunately for myself as a DCC user, decoder design fairly quickly caught up and reduction in the minimum output of decoders has eliminated this problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m using a Marklin Z gauge controller since I already have two. It works phenomenally with the Hornsby J83 I bought used. How does adding the diodes effect the other locos?

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Installing diodes on the loco, only affects the performance of the loco on which they are installed; so you won't see any change in the J83's performance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. I have a Rokuhan Z auge controller. It doesn't have enough juice to move Marklin Z gauge trains, but it's perfect for Rokuhan and Americam Z. It works beautifully with the B2 and has power to spare. It actually flies, but has great start/stop and slow speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bonus with the Rokuhan controller. It works for all my locos and they all glide through the troublesome spots at the point frogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts