Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi there
am new to the forum and a new 2009 subscriber to the hornby mag,

i am disappointed to learn that the new horsted keynes skaledale signal box offer in issue 20 has sold out

500 units were made but it has sold out very quickly and i cannot get one,

can we have a re-issue please?

and some SR station buildings in the future would be fabulous,
thanks
roger

ps anyone not wanting their 'box' please let me know lol
thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to hear you missed out on the signal box offer. Mine arrived in the post today. I had been on the look out for a 'Southern' signal box for some time and the Hornby offer was too good to miss. My cheque went off the day I received the magazine.

Keep a look out on E-Bay. If they sold out so quickly somebody will be out to make a quick profit.

Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does anyone have some photos of the signal box? Im in New Zealand and we are only onto the November issue of the Magazine.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Wonder if they'll ever do an LMS signal box
Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 3 Feb 2009, 12:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wonder if they'll ever do an LMS signal box
Steve

i think much of the skaledale range currently on offer is LMS based or very much 'up north'

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Cheers for that information. I need an LMS signal box built in white clapbaord, do you know of one?
Steve

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Hornby Skaldale eas is based on the Signal Box at Settle Station. LNER territory. Does anyone have pics of the Horsted Keynes Model?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Strangely enough it appeared in the magazine.

Regards

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (Hilux5972 @ 4 Feb 2009, 00:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Hornby Skaldale eas is based on the Signal Box at Settle Station. LNER territory. Does anyone have pics of the Horsted Keynes Model?

Ahem...

The Settle and Carlisle Railway was built and operated by the Midland Railway Company, and Passed to the London Midland and Scottish Railway Company in the Grouping (1923), that's LMS , NOT LNER. (Yes, BR did run some A3 locos over the line, and yes, Microsoft supplied the LNER version of Flying Scotsman to run on their Train Simulator version of the line, but it is still a Midland Line!
)

Meanwhile, for some info and pics of the Real Horstead Keynes 'Box. Click on the links below!

http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/s/horstedkeynessth.htm

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/signalboxes.html

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
QUOTE (Lancashire Fusilier @ 4 Feb 2009, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice. A dose of reality decends on this otherwise disturbing discussion

Why is it that this discussion is "disturbing"?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 5 Feb 2009, 09:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why is it that this discussion is "disturbing"?

Possibly because the LNER didn't operate the S & C?

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
And the fog of non-comprehension clears!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
am still hunting down a box
anyone wanna sell theirs?

or has hornby mag ordered some more?

cheeers

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is unfortunate that we only had 500 of the Southern signal boxes, we could have had more I suppose, but we had no idea of the demand. They were all sold within about ten days.

The good news is that we have ordered another 500, and this was announced in the magazine. Believe it or not, we have now received complaints from some people who bought from the first batch claiming that we are devaluing their purchase!

Sometimes you just can't win. From my point of view, we were letting readers down, so I seized the opportunity to have another batch produced - customer service and all that. It seems that some people think that it was a Limited Edition in the true sense of the term. But it was a limited run of 500 rather than a certificated limited edition, which is what we do with the locos.

Unfortunately Mike's news piece does mention Limited Edition, so I wanted to clarify that it isn't really, but this will be the last 500 as the moulds are now shot.

Mike also says that anyone who ordered and has had their cheque back will be on the system and get priority. Again that isn't quite right. Cheques were returned with a letter of apology that we had sold out and no details were kept on file, so if you had your cheque back, you need to re-order. Sorry about that.

Because of the box's popularity, we are looking at a few more Southern-based buildings, such as a small station, goods shed and loco shed. Anyone got any suggestions of what they would like to see?

Black 5 Man

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (black 5 man @ 19 Mar 2009, 11:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is unfortunate that we only had 500 of the Southern signal boxes, we could have had more I suppose, but we had no idea of the demand. They were all sold within about ten days.

The good news is that we have ordered another 500, and this was announced in the magazine. Believe it or not, we have now received complaints from some people who bought from the first batch claiming that we are devaluing their purchase!

Sometimes you just can't win. From my point of view, we were letting readers down, so I seized the opportunity to have another batch produced - customer service and all that. It seems that some people think that it was a Limited Edition in the true sense of the term. But it was a limited run of 500 rather than a certificated limited edition, which is what we do with the locos.

Unfortunately Mike's news piece does mention Limited Edition, so I wanted to clarify that it isn't really, but this will be the last 500 as the moulds are now shot.

Mike also says that anyone who ordered and has had their cheque back will be on the system and get priority. Again that isn't quite right. Cheques were returned with a letter of apology that we had sold out and no details were kept on file, so if you had your cheque back, you need to re-order. Sorry about that.

Because of the box's popularity, we are looking at a few more Southern-based buildings, such as a small station, goods shed and loco shed. Anyone got any suggestions of what they would like to see?

Black 5 Man

marvellous news, thanks !

i opened my new hornby mag last week and saw the re-run announced and have called ian allan to order mine, yippeeeee!!!

i called mike back in jan when i was very sad that they all sold out so quick and asked for a re-run so cheers for that! you did listen so thanks.

i posted here and on hornby forums too asking if any modellers wanted to sell an unwanted box so i am surprised by the comments made by some
people they are upset at the re-run de-valuing of their initial boxes...
if they are that cheap and want a fast buck then they could have sold one to me LOL!!!

you buy the model coz you want it not to make a fast buck on a ltd edtn !

as for future buildings, well i have ordered the concrete SR style skaledale platelayers lineside hut but as for more ltd edtn's from the mag then yes please!
any SR stations would be great and platform sections in stone rather than the skaledale red brick (which is very LMS)

i like LSWR type buildings which would be nice (im not keen on the 1930's art-deco SR stuff)
as you have modelled horsted keynes box then i suppose maybe the station may be of interest?

axminster station is pretty and corfe castle, or something from the withered arm?

once agin thanks for the re-run
cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts